Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Flibs 2019

Re: Flibs 2019

It’s easy... if you know what you’re doing. It obviously requires reasonably calm waters, but spring lines and tight lines are key. A total of four fenders between boats is really all you need. This is typical (maybe not this year) on football weekends in Knoxville.

These boats are rafted side by side with only one being tied to the dock. The other trick involves deploying anchors and keeping them from becoming entangled during a wind or current change. That’s not an issue here, but it is when the raft up is free floating. FLIBS is basically a huge raft up
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Freeebird; 10-26-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Why would anybody willingly involve oneself in such a potential for disaster like that huge raft up?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Randy that photo is amazing because not more than 10 minutes ago a friend was showing me an almost identical photo. He was there on his new boat at the Tenn. Georgia game, and the reason to do it is you can hear the noise from the stadium while you watch the game on your boat on TV and drink beer. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Why would anybody willingly involve oneself in such a potential for disaster like that huge raft up?
    Because it's fun?

The biggest problem with a raft up like the one I pictured is not knowing those with whom you are rafted up. That's where the biggest liability issues come in, not to mention ladies trapesing across your deck wearing heels.

I remember one year when some a$$hole in the middle of such a raft up decided he wanted to leave early. He proceeded to cast off his lines and let the boats outside him drift. Luckily they were gathered up before any damage was done, but I don't remember the outcome. It does take some skill, coordination and cooperation to make one like that work, but most of my raft up experience has been with friends and limited to about six boats or so. No big deal at all.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Randy that photo is amazing because not more than 10 minutes ago a friend was showing me an almost identical photo. He was there on his new boat at the Tenn. Georgia game, and the reason to do it is you can hear the noise from the stadium while you watch the game on your boat on TV and drink beer. John
    The Alabama home game is THE game to attend by water as the Bama faithful show up in boats too. It's a case of one-upmanship, and there are some huge boats in attendance. I'll never forget seeing that 135' Christensen pass by my house en route to the game. It even made the news as it was too big to dock and they had to ferry people to the docks.

I attended the Alabama game in 2016 along with another HOF'er who brought his Hatt up from Alabama alongside a huge houseboat full of Tide dwellers. I was the token Vol fan on that boat which was equipped with a big screen TV and later a live band. I know I was on TV somewhere as a number of media folks shot video of the event. I thought it was pretty tacky that ESPN showed up after reneging on their earlier deal, but they were there too. This event lead to the infamous beer spilling aboard Paul's boat which allowed Dottie to refurnish the salon. Best $50 bribe I ever took.

I was actually supposed to bring the Hatt up with an ESPN crew who wanted to experience such a thing, but they bailed at the last minute. With that, the owner brought up the boat but invited me to partake in the festivities. I will tell you this much, it's much more fun to attend such games on someone else's boat. I've taken mine to one game and decided it just wasn't worth the effort.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    You can count us in for Friday! Will there be a raft up at all?
    Pretty much decided to pass on the raft up this go around. The most logical spots would have been Sunrise Bay or Lake Sylvia.
    Sylvia is closer to the show but it's surrounded by private homes so non-boaters would have been hard pressed to join in. Sunrise Bay is big, calm water with great holding ground. It's about 20 minutes from the show at no wake speed. Plenty of parking and dingy docks at Coral Ridge YC for non boaters needing to get out to the party.

Maybe Miami would be a better venue if there is enough interest.
    Last edited by Passages; 10-28-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Any food favorites? Must See? Must Do? Any Boats, Electronics, Tender, PWC that you plan to see?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Yes, there are.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

All of the above

Same, I will look to the locals for food recommendations.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's