Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cleats

Re: Cleats

If you are making them, why not use stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Tef gel for sure. Its just the 2 dissimilar metals and air that can cause the bolts to fail.
    Ford Exhaust manifolds come to mind (Auto / Truck) Aluminum Heads, Cast Iron manifolds, studs and nuts also different metals. Then add in road salt in the winter. they are designed to fail.

I'll be adding and re-doing Cleats on my little 31C, butt currently thinking 5/8 or 3/4 treated plywood for the backers. Whatever form of a backing is used don't really see a need to glass it in place, well unless you plan on swapping cleats often. Bedding holes top and bottom, not a bad idea, I'm going with Tee nuts most the hardware on mine requires 2 people. Or some way to start and hold a nut, and tighten from outside. Just a few thought's on my winter projects.
    Attached Images

Not planning on changing the spark plugs on my cleats. It’ll be fine. Thanks for the ‘nutty’ idea. You’re right about glassing. It’s the riflesmith in me wanting a perfect mating surface I guess.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    With regard to where you locate them port and starboard: n one can look at both sides of the boat at the same time anyway, unless with a drone directly overhead, so who's going to know? And anyone who points it out, tell them they're wrong and no boat rides for them if they insist on their mistaken impression.
    I like that take on placement I know on my 1967 31C the factory stuff is far from being a mirror image, just the hard top alone isn't even close . I would go with the placement being putting them where they will be the most effective. home port or ports place them where they are the most functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed338 View Post
    Ford Exhaust manifolds come to mind (Auto / Truck) Aluminum Heads, Cast Iron manifolds, studs and nuts also different metals. Then add in road salt in the winter. they are designed to fail.
    Funny you should mention that..... 3.5L Ecoboost in my van. First stud failed at 38,000 miles. Symptom is a squeal at high exhaust pressure.... Fixed under warrantee. Hearing it again, faintly, may be same side may be other side. Not sure yet. Problem is the turbo (one on each side) has to come off to get the manifold off. 6+ hours of labor!!!! What a complete POS design.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Funny you should mention that..... 3.5L Ecoboost in my van. First stud failed at 38,000 miles. Symptom is a squeal at high exhaust pressure.... Fixed under warrantee. Hearing it again, faintly, may be same side may be other side. Not sure yet. Problem is the turbo (one on each side) has to come off to get the manifold off. 6+ hours of labor!!!! What a complete POS design.
    Yup the way certain metals react with each other, add in moisture, salt, salt water, and just shit in the air. IMO a mix with any coolant antifreeze, haven't done chemistry sine High School but I say no F'in way. Just my .02. I can thing of more then a few things boat / hatt or otherwise, that can create fast or later issues.

Got a couple of aluminum saltwater holding tank top plates with 16-18 SS bolts installed for about three years now. They look like the day I installed them. Maybe uric acid helps. It’ll be fine. Here’s my non-commercial documentary. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nMZIW2dJc
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed338 View Post
    Yup the way certain metals react with each other, add in moisture, salt, salt water, and just shit in the air. IMO a mix with any coolant antifreeze, haven't done chemistry sine High School but I say no F'in way. Just my .02. I can thing of more then a few things boat / hatt or otherwise, that can create fast or later issues.
    In addition there's a lot of water coming down from the top in the engine compartment due to poor sealing..... Lot's of thermal shock.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay