Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleats

Cleats

I've been thinking for some time about adding an additional cleat to each side of Aslan. We've all talked about storm moors and the problem of securing maximum lines to our boats. The biggest issue holding me back has been gaining access under the deck edge. I would need enough access to properly glass bed backing plates to the underside of the deck. And, I would need the same access to each side of the boat for symmetry.

Preferably, I'd locate the cleats as shown below. But, doing so would require upholstering skills I do not possess.
    IMG_0216.jpg
    The below picture shows where I know I can do a proper job. This is just aft of the forward fuel tank fill (port) and just aft of the two holding tank pump-outs (starboard). I know I can find OEM cleats from Sams. Laying up some more glass is a possibility, though I don't see where Hatteras added thickness when they embedded their backing plates.
    IMG_9509.jpg

How does this location strike you? Why would you not do this?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Cleats

Robert, I added cleats to the rails aft on our Motor Yacht. That rail on our boat was so thick that I did not even add a backing plate just used really big fender washers and a 4 bolt cleat that I bought from Sams. So far solid as a rock. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Anita and I had this discussion yesterday, primarily looking for another cleat to hang a fender from as that area seems to be a magnet for the dock with a following current and the thought of using the bowrail?

You wouldn't necessarily have to embed the backing plates, my rod holder plates aren't and I haven't seen any stress cracks around those (not a great level of stress comparison, I know). If you span the tension placed on the backing plate, say over an 8 x 10 plate, with a nice bead of 5200 would you think that would work?
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Thanks guys. They built them stout, John. That's encouraging.

I think I might still want to go with a plate, probably 1/4" aluminum. You never know if Aslan's next owner might play Sea Tow one day. I wouldn't use 5200, though, for bedding. Think I'd grind out the high spots (if any) and bed it with thickened epoxy to be absolutely certain of a perfect mating. And you're right about the fenders. Being able to drop a fender over a cleat is a huge convenience.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

RAC, I think I'd go with SS. I added backing plates to my deck cleats years ago and I think we used SS. I think you can get 316 plate from McMaster.

I wish I'd added additional side cleats, as you say. On the 36C, the factory cleats are small and only one per side. They ought to be bigger, or be paired. But getting to the back of that deck area is quite difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    RAC, I think I'd go with SS. I added backing plates to my deck cleats years ago and I think we used SS. I think you can get 316 plate from McMaster.

I wish I'd added additional side cleats, as you say. On the 36C, the factory cleats are small and only one per side. They ought to be bigger, or be paired. But getting to the back of that deck area is quite difficult.
    All good points, Jim. I'd add a larger cleat if I thought it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb. I still think I'll go with aluminum. It's so much easier to work with, and no worries about dissimilar metals way up high.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Good plan. Cleats are good, and midships for sure. One thought I have to offer, if you can't get it EXACTLY even with the other side.... cheat a few inches if it gains you access.... heck a foot. You'll be the only one to ever know.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We used fiberglass sheet (G10 or similar) for the backing plates on ours, think 3/8" but could be 1/4", no corrosion issues this way. And yes we did pull the headliner down a little bit, fortunately it stapled right back into place.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks again guys for the ideas.

I am absolutely terrible with headliner type stuff. I'm also terrified of what I might find if I decided to try and learn.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert, I think you're talking yourself down regarding the headliner work. Based on everything we see
    that you have done on your boat, I'm certain the headliner will not be an issue at all. As far as location
    is concerned, I agree with Oscarvan that you don't need to have them exactly the same on each side,
    the only one that will ever know is you..... and you don't need to point it out to anyone ever. Cricket
    posted the use of fiberglass sheet. I totally agree with him. I used 1/2" fiberglass backing plates through
    out for backing plates. They were epoxyed in place. Make them large enough to spread the load and
    you will never have to worry about them moving.

Walt