Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Holding tank treatment

Here is the thread on the Nutralizer.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...-do-you-prefer

But, I've tried all of this stuff and IMO nothing controls the odor like the Aqua/Campa-Kem. Plus every Walmart has it and its cheap compared to most of the other stuff.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hello - just to clarify, did you confirm that the vent line was open to the top of the tank through the elbow (or other type) fitting? I had the same problem on ours, which turned out to be the vent fitting on the tank top being plugged. The vent hose was open otherwise. Easy fix, just asking to be sure. Good luck-
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Not much of an endorsement, but I got some aqua-kem at lunch and it does seem to work. What works the best is to keep the tanks pumped out, but it’s a pain to move the boat over to the pump out station. Well, it just hasn’t become routine for me yet.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
    Hello - just to clarify, did you confirm that the vent line was open to the top of the tank through the elbow (or other type) fitting? I had the same problem on ours, which turned out to be the vent fitting on the tank top being plugged. The vent hose was open otherwise. Easy fix, just asking to be sure. Good luck-
    Pulled the vent hose off the thru hull. Wrapped it in a plastic bag and blew air into it. Went through no problem. Then I know vent hose was clear when back pressure I created blew right back out the hose. Smelled a bit fruity! Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Pulled the vent hose off the thru hull. Wrapped it in a plastic bag and blew air into it. Went through no problem. Then I know vent hose was clear when back pressure I created blew right back out the hose. Smelled a bit fruity! Blech.
    Can’t dispute your findings even if your methods are highly suspect.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Gives a whole new meaning to "potty mouth"
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I recently checked the vent lines from the tanks by lightly placing some plastic wrap against the vent fitting on the exterior of the boat while the tank was being pumped out.

I could easily see that the plastic wrap was being sucked inward by the suction of the pump-out hose. That confirmed to me that the vent was working as it should.

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

I may not be the sharpest spoon in the drawer but I get the job done.

9. Re: Holding tank treatment

Another way is to put a shop-vac on blow and put it into the pump-out opening; then smell the vent.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    Another way is to put a shop-vac on blow and put it into the pump-out opening; then smell the vent.
    Or just flush.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC