Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Holding tank treatment

On our 1982 46 we used the holding tank for our keys trip since business needed to be conducted aboard. At our last stop before heading back tried to pump out before we left.Seemed to pump out okay at first but then slowed down but definitly wasn't empty. Slooooowly broke the seal and tried again. Did the same thing. Since I got some out and trip was close to end I figured that the vent was just clogged from non use and I would deal with it at home.

Pulled closet wall out and removed the hose from the fitting. Could see daylight through the hull fixture and vent hose confirmed to not be clogged (don't try this at home boys and girls!).

So something in the tank is clogging up the waste pickup. On my RV we dump what I call the blue goo down the tanks. That does an excellent job of breaking shit (for lack of any better word) down and keeping odor down. Anybody use anything like this? Not sure if it would react to a fiberglass tank. I would think not since the held gas before ethanol and diesel for many many years.

Figure safer to ask fist before I get myself into a "crappy" situation.

Re: Holding tank treatment

Hopefully it is a clog and not the pick up tube corroded off. If that’s the case you’ve got a bigger job on your hands. You can look through numerous posts on this site about this. Most recently one by Robert who did a phenomenal narration on how to change out the pick up tube. The post is called (holding tank pick up Replacement). It was completed on 9/21 2019 at 6:07 PM
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The fellow that pumps out a lot of holding tanks on boats in our region suggested "Odorlos". He said that he used to recommend Happy Camper, but that they changed their chemistry a while back and that it creates its own issues now.

I picked up my first container of Odorlos at West Marine. It was a 68oz bottle with a handy measuring device built-in. I now purchase it off of Amazon in a 168oz size and refill the 68oz bottle from that.

I assume that a fellow who does pump-outs all day 5 days a week would be someone with some insight as to what breaks stuff down in the tank and what does not.

The container says that it is, "Safe and gentle for you, your tank and the environment..."

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

The only thing I ever found that actually controls the odor is the good old formaldehyde stuff. Any of the eco-friendly stuff and it stinks everytime you flush.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The blue goo is Campa-Chem and is the formaldehyde. Is it safe for fiberglass (if anyone knows)?

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    The blue goo is Campa-Chem and is the formaldehyde. Is it safe for fiberglass (if anyone knows)?
    I've used it for 16 years on my Hatt. No problems.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I've used it for 16 years on my Hatt. No problems.
    Bingo! That's what I needed to know. Just did a bunch of research and found the older fiberglass contained formaldehyde, storage containers for it are made of fiberglass, and read the MSDS.

Will dump some in with some water and pump out in a couple weeks. Thanks.

I use ExterminOdor from WestMarine. It is blue as well, but maybe not the same stuff. It says it is formaldehyde free.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...allon--8669731
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Thetford, the maker of Campa-Chem, has a website dedicated to marine ...

https://www.thetfordmarine.com/us/

There they have Aqua-Kem Marine. The also have (plain) Aqua-Kem on their RV site ...

https://www.thetford.com/us/

Aqua-Kem is supposed to be stronger than Campa-Chem.

I don't see much of a difference (other than price) between Aqua-Kem Marine and plain Aqua-Kem. And plain Aqua-Kem says it can be applied in marine applications. As also does Campa-Chem.

Aqua-Kem has been around for a long time ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=OF...rglass&f=false
    Last edited by Photolomy; 09-24-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

10. Re: Holding tank treatment

First, thank you for respecting our fragile Keys.

It sounds as if you rarely use a shoreside pump-out, so you probably rarely exercise your Y-valve. It's possible that it didn't fully open, or has deposits on it that snagged a wad of paper after allowing mostly liquid to pass. Not uncommon.

It's also not uncommon to have to break the suction and then resume pumping. A number of factors could be involved. Since you find the vent open, the issue could be with the pump-out itself. Some require a period of time to build up sufficient suction, some have to also pump uphill to get your deposit into the sewer system [as is the case here in Islamorada]. It's hard to say unless you are a regular customer of that particular location.

Whatever the situation, liquids move easier than solids; natural solids move easier than wads of TP. And the more liquid you put into the tank, the more medium is available to lubricate the passage of solids. Always use septic safe or marine TP.

We have used the powder NeutralizeRX since it was first mentioned on this site several years ago. If memory serves, it was developed by the operator of a pump-out boat in Stuart. It is now available on Amazon for about $100 for a case or six jars. Put one scoop into the head each day. A single jar lasts about 6 weeks with daily usage.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine