Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Might Need a Detroit and Hull Surveyor in Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    2 men for 2 days and they document the survey .

Do the math.

2 x 8 =16 hours each.

16x2 = 32 hours total.

Add another 4 to 8 hours of paperwork.

Figure a realistic rate of $100 per hour.

Is there any remaining questions?
    * Are 😊

Since when does it take two guys two days to do a survey?

Sounds high to me.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks for the grammar lesson.

So if the survey is detailed enough to take 2 men 2 days is it ok by you?

I've seen quick surveys lower cost and detailed ones at higher. $20 a foot for a standard is probably normal. If the buyer wants everything checked and documented it can be more.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

By the time you get done with an inspection by Jon Howe and his son you will know exactly what you're buying. They are IMHO among the best in the business.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Kinda hope the Florida broker thinks the surveyor is a pain.
    I'm sure he will.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I'm on the liberal West Coast so prices may be different but for my boat survey a few years ago I paid $1260 and was thrilled with the results. He didn't miss a thing and spent 6 hours.
    My diesel survey was $1000 and was worth every penny. He spent 3/4 of a day checking things out.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I purchased a 63MY two years ago in Fort Lauderdale.

I used local Surveyors. Malcolm Elliot - Florida Nautical Surveyors for the hull. Charge was $22/foot. 2 guys for 1 long day plus a few hours writing the report. They did a good job and did not miss anything significant.

Engine survey was done by Jack Dibella of Marine Diesel & Engineering and included (2) DD 8-92's and (2) generators. Also included was oil analysis. His cost was a flat $1800 and he too missed nothing.

So it seems my surveyors are slightly high. However I’m told these guys are excellent so for the few extra bucks I’m not going to fret. Can’t thank all of you HOF folks enough for the responses, especially the ones that reached out via PM. Hopefully before the end of the month we can change our ownerships status from “another brand” to a Hatteras. Pictures to follow.

Frankly it's a lot less expensive than fixing what an incomplete survey will miss. You want the palying field tiled towards you, not away, in this instance.

Well worth it. You made an offer subject to surveys. Other than the picky stuff, you assign a cost to the deficiencies and decide what portion you then deduct from the offer. Your offer might not even be close to the final price based on a thorough survey. Might be seller will be insulted by an unflattering appraisal of his boat and walk. My updated offer, based on Aslan’s surveys, was so much lower than the contract price my broker initially refused to pass it along. When I left him no choice, he forwarded the offer but assured me the seller wouldn’t even reply, much less counter. Twenty minutes later, I bought Aslan at MY price. Moral of the story: You’re way better off finding what’s there now because you will find it for certain down the road when you’re paying.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC