Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Might Need a Detroit and Hull Surveyor in Ft. Lauderdale

We have an offer pending on a boat in southeast Florida. If accepted we plan to have a thorough engine survey. Then a hull survey if the motors are good. Can anybody recommend a couple of people that have a great record please?

Re: Might Need a Detroit and Hull Surveyor in Ft. Lauderdale

Okay, have to bump this thread. Now we need a surveyor for motors and hull. Our offer been accepted so as they say $#^t just got real!!

Anybody please?

I will find a few options for you by the time you are back from your boat ride.

Steve Kambrick in Bradenton, FL is good. He goes all over southern Florida. His number is 904-465-6854, I know 3 people that have used him and have been pleased.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Looks like we are going with Ron Doerr for the DD’s and Jonathan Howe for the hull. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Looks like we are going with Ron Doerr for the DD’s and Jonathan Howe for the hull. Any thoughts?
    Both excellent choices IMHO and experience.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I hate to even ask this but just curious. Is $3375 plus $175 per day for travel charges about right for a two day survey with a father son team?
    I look at surveys as a very inexpensive temporary insurance policy as long as they are as thorough as possible and done by pros. Thoughts?
    By the way the survey for the Detroits is about $1500 so that is fair considering the local dealer wants around $3500.

2 men for 2 days and they document the survey .

Do the math.

2 x 8 =16 hours each.

16x2 = 32 hours total.

Add another 4 to 8 hours of paperwork.

Figure a realistic rate of $100 per hour.

Is there any remaining questions?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The reason I ask is my broker in Chicago seemed to think that's high so I just wanted a second opinion. It doesn't seem out of the park to me considering the amount of work ahead of them. That and the surveyor is very familiar with old Hats and was recommend by a few different independent sources.
    Thank you for the fast reply. Kinda hope the Florida broker thinks the surveyor is a pain.

Wow can I work for them, I am a surveyor and my charge for that job without engines and gens would be $17.00 per foot which would also include an out of the water bottom inspection and a short sea trail. If the boat is under 70 feet it should only take one long day depending upon how far you have to go for the haul out. I guess surveys are a lot cheaper on the west coast . John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.