Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tune up for 1972 43CD with Chris Craft 300 (427) engines

Looking for part numbers for the Distributor and Rotor (Mallory?).

hope to pick up the parts at a local auto store as my warm days are limited in Buffalo, NY!

Any help?

Re: Tune up for 1972 43CD with Chris Craft 300 (427) engines

Quote Originally Posted by JPBuffalo View Post
    Looking for part numbers for the Distributor and Rotor (Mallory?).

hope to pick up the parts at a local auto store as my warm days are limited in Buffalo, NY!

Any help?
    typically a distributor isn't a maintenance item, are you looking for distributor CAP and rotor?
    what year motor, electronic distributor? points? need some more info
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Yes a Distributor Cap and rotor for a dual points system for a 1972 Chris Craft 300 (427 Cubic Inch). It's on my 1972 43DC Hatteras

I believe there is a marine cap. It has no vent to the spark of the points so it wont blow up from gas fumes.

It's been a long time since I worked on them. I think it's a Mallory distributor if that's any help.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by JPBuffalo View Post
    Yes a Distributor Cap and rotor for a dual points system for a 1972 Chris Craft 300 (427 Cubic Inch). It's on my 1972 43DC Hatteras
    Mallory Distributor Cap 221B
    Mallory Distributor Rotor 319

are the parts you need. sit down when you price them.

at a minimum, you should really consider converting the points to electronic.
    there are kits to do it. you would use the same cap and rotor.
    the best option by far is to swap the distributors out entirely for electronic.
    a number of guys with the 427's have used Performance Distributors (DUI). they customer make them.
    peace of mind has a price, in this case it was around 1K for 2.
    I've had mine for about 4 years and it's night and day reliability compared to the old mallory's.
    you press the button and they start, period.
    i have no affiliation with DUI, just very pleased with their product.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Well, I'll tell you everything you need to know about those 427 Ford Chris Craft engines! Just did complete tune ups and carburetor replacement on both of my engines. Distributors on mine were Mallory YL dual points converted to Pertronix

Distributor Cap
    Mallory 221B Flat Cap
    Purchased at Summit Racing

Rotor
    It's either a Mallory 318 or 319 Rotor

If it's a 319 rotor then you can buy it on Amazon for $18.00 or try an Echlin FA-64 Rotor sold by NAPA. You can do a Google search and Sierra makes the same rotor under a different part number.

If it's a Mallory 318 rotor then you're screwed. They don't make that rotor anymore. Sierra bought Mallory's replacement parts business and for some reason never bothered to make that rotor. Best you can do there is hit the old one with fine sandpaper to clean it up and pray it doesn't crack!

As an FYI, the 318 rotor has a 5/8 inch diameter hole for the distributor shaft whereas the 319 is sized for a smaller shaft diameter.

A few other things that may be of interest:

Plug Wire Set
    CDI Electronics Wire Set PN 631-0018
    Purchased at Summit Racing

These are 8mm wires and have the 135 degree spark plug boots. Supposedly made for the 427 Chris craft but I found the wires to be too long for a couple of cylinders. Made it work ok though with the addition of some very nice blue Moroso wire looms

Carburetor
    Edelbrock 1409 with electric choke.
    Purchased at Summit Racing.

Love these carburetors! Made a HUGE difference in performance mostly because the original Carters were worn out!

Good luck!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

7. Re: Tune up for 1972 43CD with Chris Craft 300 (427) engines

I got tired of trying to keep the old distributor adjusted on my Chris Craft 327F engine so I tossed it and put in a DUI distributor ordered from Summit. Along with changing the carb to an Edelbrock, it now starts instantly every time and no adjustments ever.

If you go this route, and I highly recommend it, let them know that one distributor has to have a reverse rotation gear installed.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    I got tired of trying to keep the old distributor adjusted on my Chris Craft 327F engine so I tossed it and put in a DUI distributor ordered from Summit. Along with changing the carb to an Edelbrock, it now starts instantly every time and no adjustments ever.

If you go this route, and I highly recommend it, let them know that one distributor has to have a reverse rotation gear installed.

to add to that, when i went to them they no longer had access to the reverse gears. i had to send them mine.
    also, Summit didn't stock the 427 units. i had to go directly to DUI and they speced it based on the information i provided about the motor and boat.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

9. Re: Tune up for 1972 43CD with Chris Craft 300 (427) engines

Call Jim Stab at Fine Wood Boats for any parts or questions on these vintage engines. He specializes in all things Chris Craft.
    http://www.finewoodboats.com

I had good intentions but what they said ^^^^^
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears