Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genset Sound Box

I'm wondering if putting a sound shield or box around an Onan 8.0 genset is possible? Would it even make sense to do it? My OCD is driving this question. The 20kw is in a box but the 8.0 isn't.

Re: Genset Sound Box

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    I'm wondering if putting a sound shield or box around an Onan 8.0 genset is possible? Would it even make sense to do it? My OCD is driving this question. The 20kw is in a box but the 8.0 isn't.
    My 8.0 MDKD is in a box, installed when the boat was built.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Great discovery Sky... have you tried one?
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

I have a hard factory enclosure on the 8kw Northern Lights on my sailboat and it makes a huge difference to the noise level. Also have the soft enclosure mentioned above on both my 21kw Phasors on my 61 Hatt. The enclosure material is very good but the aluminium frames are completely falling apart from rust. I am going to have a new frame built from stainless steel to hang the panels on, and hopefully won't have to revisit ever again. The Hatteras needs generator enclosures or the noise level is very bad. Also I am redoing the ventilation in the generator room as it is now complete crap.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have sold a lot of these. Work great, each is custom built for your exact unit. Super quiet. The panels are easy to remove for maintenance.

Have a great week,
    Tim
    Fish Tales
    65c

Why is t that boating forums (I belong to the Carver owners forum also) are so fantastic? Ask a question and you seem to always get a fast and helpful response. Other forums see to exist to just berate and belittle posters. Thanks Sky if we end up with the boat that needs the enclosure I’ll do just that. Rourkeh, I’ll be in fresh water do you think I could use aluminum or should I go right to a stainless frame?

You’re dealing with professional on this site. Occasionally a joke or two will be make just for fun but you are correct, this is a fabulous site.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbullett@gmail.com View Post
    Great discovery Sky... have you tried one?
    I don't have one, but a friend of mine has two of them and they work great.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    I have sold a lot of these. Work great, each is custom built for your exact unit. Super quiet. The panels are easy to remove for maintenance.

Have a great week,
    Tim
    Fish Tales
    65c
    What is the approximate cost or price range for these?