Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Shorepower current question

When returning to the dock after a cruise last weekend, I did my normal routine, connect the shorepower cord to the boat with the pedestal breaker off, all breakers and selector switch on the panel on the boat off as well. I then turned the pedestal breaker on and proceeded to the boat to turn the selector switch, breakers, etc. on. Before I stepped aboard I stopped to tighten the locking ring on the shorepower connection, touched a stanchion with my arm in the process and got a pretty good tingle from both the locking ring and stanchion. As soon as I flipped the switch and breakers on the panel on, the stray current was gone.

We only have 208 volts at the pedestal, so our boost transformer is getting us 228 volts or so. Is this a function of Hatteras isolating the ground? Problem most likely at the pedestal or shorepower connection on the boat? I'm using the single 240v 50 amp connection. I have not begun troubleshooting yet, was hoping some on here might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks guys,
    Randy

Re: Shorepower current question

My guess is an open neutral somewhere in the system, probably not your boat since you had everything off. Time to get a meter out and check the pedestal, or better call the marina office and tell them there is a dangerous condition. (It can be)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay