Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Inverter- Domestic or Marine Type & Grounding

A while back someone on the forum wrote that there are differences between a domestic type inverter and a "marine inverter." A Google search on the subject yields little discussion. Victron for example make inverters that seem suitable for both home and marine applications. Others make well made "marine" inverters which seem only to have some special spray over the circuit boards. See https://www.wallcann.com.au/inverters/marine/

I am wondering what other differences might be? American wiring standards compared to say Australian?

Also there is a grounding pin on most inverters. This, presumably like generators, it goes to the boat's copper bonding/gounding system. (I have never liked the idea of connecting anything to do with 240V AC into the bonding system.)

In Australia, inverters are a regulated item and I'm told neutral and earth are joined (like a generator). An RCD (Residual Current Detector) is on the AC output of the inverter. We also have an AC electrical certificate of compliance, suitable for Australia.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 09-17-2019 at 05:11 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Inverter- Domestic or Marine Type & Grounding

Not sure what the rules are in Australia. Here the difference between a marine and non marine inverter is that the marine version has circuitry to bond N and G when in inverter mode only. When off or charging the bond is released.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Not sure what the rules are in Australia. Here the difference between a marine and non marine inverter is that the marine version has circuitry to bond N and G when in inverter mode only. When off or charging the bond is released.
    Would that be the case for RV's too? (Since they have no ground connection of their own when not on shore power?) IOW, would the Magnums installed on many (most) RV's be suitable for boat use? I haven't asked them the question, but I suspect they do.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Magnum has marine inverters don’t know if their TV models are different
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

5. Re: Inverter- Domestic or Marine Type & Grounding

I would look at Outback, Victron and MasterVolt. We have had great luck with our two 32v Outback units which are marine grade. I'll try to send you some pictures of our install since our boats are similar.

Also FWIW the Xantrex units evolved from Heart inverters from what i have heard and are more RV grade.