Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

just shopping looking for real life info

Hey guys, I'm new here. I was checking out a 1995 Hatteras sport express, it is powered by
    DD6v92's. I was wondering if anyone on this site owns or previously owned one of these boats, and if they liked the boat and what kind of performance will I see with these motors. Fuel burn, speed, was it a noisy ride, etc? Thanks in advanced

Re: just shopping looking for real life info

I'm going to assume this is the vessel?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/hatteras-39-sport-express-3226214/

You will get varying opinions on the 6-92's but here's the down and DIRTY. The two stroke mechanical engines that are fairly easy to maintain. They are "louder" than the new common rail power and likely will have some smoking at start up, but should subside within 30 sec's. They will likely leak some oil (no biggie, who doesn't like adding fresh oil to their motors?)

If you want "real world" answers, provide us with some "real world" info.
    What transmissions? Ratio?
    What size and pitch props?
    Is that 1950 original hours? Have they ever been overhauled?
    How was the boat used? Recreational? Charter?
    Has it been sitting or used regularly? Detroits need to run, the longer they sit, well.......

We're here to help, we're just going to need some more info. The search option isn't the greatest but it will get you plenty of reading. You'll find great info on your mechanicals (power, generator, gears, etc.) in the boatdiesel.com site, worth the $25 annual fee
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

I owned at 1996 43 sport express with 692’s. As for the boat, she was a tank but had some limitations. She rode bow high which meant visibility was an issue. I am 5’10” and needed to have the seat raised. Also, she was extremely noisy. On long trips, i needed ear protection. For the engines, i needed to major one of mine after only 600 hours. Water intrusion in one cylinder. Not happy to have had to major after such a short time. She would cruise between 23-24 knots at 2100 rpm. I do not recall the fuel burn but the realistic range was only 225 nm’s. All in all a good boat but with major limitations.

thanks that's what I was looking for, I'm the same height as you, herd they ride bow high, maybe the 39 isn't as bad we will see. Don't like the noise aspect that would be a deal killer. boat I have now is high on the noise level wana get away from that. Thanks for your info.

On one of my previous Hatts, I had a pair of 6-92's. They ran flawlessly and were not very loud. Of
    course I did have 2 large mufflers on each side. Actually the sound of 2 stroke Detroit's is kind of
    appealing to most boaters that I know, but it's your boat and you need to be happy with it.

As far as riding bow high, you may want to consider installing larger trim tabs. It makes a big difference
    for not a lot of money.

Walt