Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Installing Power to TVs

How are you getting the signal there? You re going to have to run a cable anyway

Or are you using a wireless system? There are some pretty good HDMI wireless systems
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

All the TVs on the boat have Roku built in (they're smart TVs). There is a wireless WiFi router in the helm station that is itself connected to a Rouge WiFi antenna on the flybridge. We have good internet via a hotspot nearby (through our same internet carrier we use at home). If that were not the case, then we would have had cable internet connected to the boat (and the above mentioned WiFi router) at the slip we are at. Everything today is available as streaming content, even cable TV packages. We have Netflix, Prime and Sling. We buy or rent a la cart any other content that isn't covered by those three.

We also have an HDTV antenna connected to an HDHomerun box connected to the same WiFi router.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silicondust&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

That essentially streams the local channels directly to the Roku TVs or tablets. You don't have to run any wires, other than the coax from the antenna to the box. It is located right next to the WiFi router. The antenna goes where the original RCA TV antenna went inside the fly bridge (I guess it depends on boat model).

And finally, we have a QNAP media server connected to the WiFi router. I loaded it with a bunch of movies I already own and it records shows and movies off the HDTV (live) channels. It also streams to the Roku TVs or tablets.

To be honest, our internet streaming stuff (Amazon, Netflix etc.) is pretty much all we watch. So the HDTV and QNAP media server are over kill.

We have had essentially the same setup at home for years, but using Apple TV boxes instead of Roku. When we bought the boat it had no TVs and I planned on doing the same thing, but then saw that decent 32" and 42" Roku TVs were about the same cost as just the Apple TV boxes ($100 - $150) alone. Now I like Roku TV better, but we are still able to pick up shows at home on Apple TV where we leave off at the boat.

You can also buy Roku devices for existing TVs.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streamin...tronics&sr=1-4
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I did a Ceiling Outlet and Antenna box, with a swing up mount.
    Attached Images

Here are two photos. Mine is on a swivel but I never use it. Both the side and I can see the TV clearly.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I know nothing about boats and tv. So take this as a comment from someone who admits that.

But seriously.

I put systems in boats with satellite tracking dishes and off air antennas. Every time I get called in to finish the job the owner started it's about wiring the coax for the direct tv box or for the hdmi cable from the box that they dont know how to run.

Power issues are common too as too many shortcuts are taken and too often bad results.

I cant explain how to mount or power the tv from here BUT it should be on a circuit with other wall outlets NOT the air conditioning system.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

This turned out to be simpler than I originally anticipated. Here are some pictures of the guest cabin. These are 32" TVs. The walls in these boats are pretty strong. I used a piece of 1"x3"x8" mahogany as the backing plate because once oiled it blends in well with the teak. All you need is that, a couple 1/4" bolts and a wall mount ($20 from Walmart). There is a picture in the hall that covers the bolts, but if you don't have a picture, simply color them with a sharpie. For the cord, I got a cord guide from Home Depot...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cordmate-5-ft-Channel-White-C10/202059078

And painted it brown to match the wall (I used rustoleum brown spray).

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

I keep my charts under the guest bunk.

IMG_1031.jpg
    Last edited by Photolomy; 09-29-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

There are end caps (came with the wall mount) that cover the bolts that weren't in the image. I'll post some images of the master cabin in a bit. Essentially the same mounting technique, a mahogany backing plate and 1/4 bolts. I installed an outlet next to the guest cabin outlet and spliced from that and then ran a brown extension cord up from there to behind the TV. I did cut the TV cord so that I could run it through the wall (via a small hole) and spliced it back together again. You could cut a larger hole if you wanted to avoid having to splice the cord back together. Cost for everything for both cabins was less than $100.

I also added dust covers from amazon...

IMG_1032.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I cant explain how to mount or power the tv from here BUT it should be on a circuit with other wall outlets NOT the air conditioning system.
    I agree.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Here is the new outlet in the master cabin closet. Simply had to drill a hole in the bottom of the guest cabin outlet box and mount the new box directly underneath. Then ran an extension cord to the TV.

IMG_1037.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL