Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Friends of the Abacos

Just got this from friends of ours who are very involved in the Abacos..... I’m afraid our beloved Abacos is going to need a lot of help in rebuilding. Please keep the Abacos and those in the upcoming patch of Dorian in your thoughts and Prayers. I hope Dorian pulls hard right, heads out to sea and fizzles out.

Elbow
    -Seaspray gone
    -Abaco Inn- two villas G and H gone, The Inn pretty destroyed
    -Hope Town Lodge- collapsed
    -High Hopes in Buttonwood- destroyed
    -White Sound Dune- gone
    ⁃ Tahiti High gone or damaged
    ⁃ Dan Hill house by Abaco Inn - lost roof
    ⁃ Sammy Lou House- roof damaged
    ⁃ Marines Landing Home- severally damaged
    ⁃ Firefly (many people hunkered down)
    ⁃ Tip of Tahiti house gone
    ⁃ Marnies Cove- houses severe damage
    ⁃ Coffee House (Possibly destroyed)
    ⁃ Elbow Cay Properties- possibly destroyed

Lubbers-
    ⁃ cracker P - direct hit
    ⁃ Club Lubb - smashed
    ⁃ Rogers House Damaged
    ⁃ The Beach Club (many houses structurally damaged)

Marsh Harbor- under water in many parts
    Bahama Palm Shores - most okay. Didn’t get huge surge like others.

Coconut Grove- heavy damage

Treasure Cay-
    ⁃ big purple house at end by leewood - two men stranded and surrounded by water.
    ⁃ Brigantine- homes on canal (many gone)

Green Turtle-
    ⁃ Sawson House
    ⁃ Long Bay Homes- gone

Manowar
    ⁃ Mega damage, but many okay. Need water, tarps, chainsaws etc. too damaged to go out and assess. 5 foot surge

Guana-

Nippers- gone
    ⁃ Entire beach dune area leveled

No news from man a war gauna or green turtle from about 2:30pm
    Also not much coming out of treasure
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Friends of the Abacos

Breaks my heart to read this.

As a newbie Bahamas cruiser, I've not been to the Abacos yet. That said, Marsh Harbour and the world famous Nippers were on my bucket list.

My immediate concern is for the well being of the good people of the Isands. Less a concern is the possibility the character of these islands will be forever changed.

Sucks all around.

We were going to go there to play and have fun in December, I wonder if there will be opportunities to volunteer to help instead? At the very minimum we could bring tools and supplies when we crossed. I wonder if there will be any groups or organizations we can contact for information?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

We were supposed to have gone to Bakers Bay for Labor Day week end but I pulled the plug on the the trip on Tuesday. First images show total destruction with only a handful of structures undamaged

Freeport is taking a beating as the eye has been stalled all day just to the east I saw footage of waves crashing into the attic of a home where people where trying to stay alive
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    We were going to go there to play and have fun in December, I wonder if there will be opportunities to volunteer to help instead? At the very minimum we could bring tools and supplies when we crossed. I wonder if there will be any groups or organizations we can contact for information?
    Very noble idea. Good luck. I'm sure lots of folks out there will appreciate all the help they can get.

Walt

If you can help please see Abaco Relief on Facebook. I know them personally and you can be assured donations will go to the people in need. There is a 501c3 if you want to give funds. You can find it on PayPal under Miamibillfish@gmail.com
    Thanks,
    Tod
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    reach out to Skipper Gentry, Carolina Gentleman, he's coordinating a rescue/relief effort
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaGentlemanSportfishing/

There is a massive relief effort going on right now with dozen on donation centers collecting emergency supplies. Many boats and planes ready to get stuff over as soon as weather improves. USCG has been evacuating injured people out of Marsh since yesterday.

The only question is whether the Bahamian government will allow private vessels to bring in supplies or insists it all goes their approved charities. Friend of ours has started a collection site in a wharehouse and we re planning on loading up the 84 and head over as soon as feasible,hopefully this week end
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Good intentions are fine but until there is a logistical plan to stage and distribute the necessary supplies to those that need them it’s best to wait. I just hope this doesn’t end up like Haiti where relief supplies rotted at the airport or were stolen by poverty lords
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

All these pop up charaties are questionable at best. Stick to the ones you know. Remember many of our more memorable charitable organizations have been found to be less than honest.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.