Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galley Refit

Galley Refit

I am getting ready to redo the galley. The countertop, sink, cooktop and convection microwave with integral vent. I have fallen out of love with the original ModernMaid oven. Probably going with solid countertop, not granite. The dishwasher (under cooktop) and fridge are pretty new and stainless, so keeping those. I would like a slightly smaller fridge because the one now blocks the drawer unless you rock it back. But changing a fridge just for that doesn't seem worthwhile. I was thinking of creating a trash bin in that area in the back, has anyone done that? Anything to watch out for? What about a backsplash? Seems like that might use up valuable space. Also, the countertop on the sink side is recessed an inch or so. Would having it not recessed cause any issues? Would be simpler to make a straight L shape, rather than adding that recess.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Galley Refit

The countertop goes back under the deck and is tabbed to the hull. I did not remove mine but instead overlaid the original top with 1/4" Corian.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Dang. Were you able to make it seamless at the L part? What about the edge?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

All seamless. Wrapped the edges down to make it look like one thick top.
    Go here:

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ghlight=corian

Too bad photobucket has messed with my photos from back then. Hard to see, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-11-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Thanks Sky. I wish they weren't so blurry, but that is exactly what I was planning. It looks like you went straight past the fridge, though it is hard to see how you eliminated the jog by the fridge. Does this stuff glue together at the edges? I guess I have to look at the material, but yours does look solid. Exactly the look I wanted. I will have to build up the counter over the dishwasher for the cooktop, but that is no big deal.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I cut the jog out of the cabinet at the fridge so it was straight. I then built a cabinet where the Modernmaid was to house the drawer dishwasher and new meile cooktop. That countertop is all the same height.

All of those solid surface materials glue together and you can't see the seams.
    Sky Cheney

Found a photo from when we were working on this
    Attached Images
    Sky Cheney

similiar to Sky's, but 2 things: Had some extra space next to port of the DW, so added a vertical cabinet for the speed cook acc, cutting boards etc.
    Also, kept and made an insert to drop in the sink when you need it. Also cut the countertop to make a top load storage area port of the fridge where the food processor machine used to be. That area now has large insert with a finger hole to lift the top. Have all of the pots pans and cooking things in there. fabulous. Stows like a sailboat, but HUGE.

I did not do the work, just had the ideas, and some carpenters who needed the work.
    can't locate photos here, so will retake on next visit.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Countertop tabbed onto the hull? LOVE it. That is not going to come apart unless intentional.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay