Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: New Anchor Chain--The Fun Begins

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Robert,

I noticed your bow pulpit does not have the teak inserts. Some folks remove the teak to save maintenance
    work and I understand that but some (me included) prefer the teak insert look. I have a brand new
    set of teak inserts that were meant for my 1982 48 MY but I sold the boat with the old inserts. If you
    are interested in them, let me know....

How does your boat behave with the new additional chain? Have you noticed a handling difference in
    following seas or running an inlet?

Walt
    Walt,

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to leave it like it is. There is no other teak on Aslan's exterior.

How does she handle? Short answer is I don't know for certain. I have a group going out next Saturday. With a diver scheduled the day before, we'll soon see.

Until then, I speculate I may see better handling. Aslan always runs best with full tab (bow down). This is still true after adding an #800 tender on the foredeck. I've always run with full water and forward fuel tanks (#5,700 Ttl) and max tab. I recently added 1/2" spacers on the trim tab actuators to give me extra bow down. Can't recall exactly, seemed like about 11 degrees extra; but the tabs, as you know, are small. Anyway, I did finally find that Aslan could be a bit too bow down with full tabs, but just barely in certain aspects to the waves. It's true the extra #500 in the extreme forward location will exaggerate its actual CG affect because of location. Initially, Aslan should get on plane faster, and I may be able to actually tab up some and find the sweet spot at high cruise (planing).

After all that, it's important to note that #500 extra isn't a big deal on a boat weighing in at 80,000. I can easily shed forward weight by backing off on freshwater; I hold 380 gallons. Same can be said for carrying fuel forward. Then theres's my 340 gallon holding tank capacity. I have noticed that adding weight forward (and all other things equal) that Asln's fuel flow at cruise (1800RPM) is noticeably reduced. So, I'm pretty certain the advantages of the extra chain will outweigh (forgive the pun) the disadvantages.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: New Anchor Chain--The Fun Begins

Wow, I don’t think I got enough chain. Aslan leaps (as well a 55C can leap) on plane and runs (apples to apples) better than before. Looks like almost one GPH better at same rpm. Still running full down tabs. Best #500 i ever added. More than pleased.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC