Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Anchor Chain--The Fun Begins

Received a 200' drum of 1/2" G43 chain, at my loading dock upstate, while I was hanging out at Hilton Head avoiding Dorian. Handling here is no sweat. Handling at my marina will be sweat-worthy.

IMG_0737.jpg

Gotta get it marked plus make up a new bridle(s). Think I'm going to link it to the existing chain at least to bring it aboard. That's gonna be one helluva racket.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: New Anchor Chain--The Fun Begins

That’s a really serious chain Robert.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    That’s a really serious chain Robert.
    Well Mike, Aslan is a serious boat. And as you know, I’m a serious man. I’m seriously gonna need some help with this little improvement.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Good plan, unless you want a serious backache that even serious steroids won't fix...

You are going to have enough ground tackle for anything short of the Marianas Trench.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Good plan, unless you want a serious backache that even serious steroids won't fix...

You are going to have enough ground tackle for anything short of the Marianas Trench.
    Well maybe Maryanne's Ditch which is what we have on our side.

Getting there.

IMG_0740.jpg

Like my color choice? I think it'll go well with the changing of the leaves this year.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

you're using all 200'?

When I replaced the chain on my boat, I had the barrel in the back of my pickup truck. I pulled the boat into the travel lift bay and tied it off there, then backed to truck up to the bow of the boat and used the windlass to load it onto the boat.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    you're using all 200'?
    You're damn right I am, if I need it + 50' of chain already onboard + 325' of 3/4 nylon. I actually don't plan to use the 50' past the anchor bridle due to reduced strength of the mating link. I'd like to not use any of the nylon, so I'm going to use some of it for bridles and then extra storm lines or for a second anchor.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    When I replaced the chain on my boat, I had the barrel in the back of my pickup truck. I pulled the boat into the travel lift bay and tied it off there, then backed to truck up to the bow of the boat and used the windlass to load it onto the boat.
    I was gonna suggest giving the travel lift operator $20 to put the barrel on deck.

As to that much chain THAT heavy..... I concur. Those of you that have ever flown a real simulator will know exactly what I mean when I call the ground tackle the "freeze button"......

The fact that all I had to do was pull one slip not and kick an anchor with 100' of heavy chain overboard saved my previous 42' boat at least once in tight quarters when the propulsion quit and the 2 knot Atlantic inlet current did not.....

And we're not even talking about a good nights rest in an anchorage without a 3am reset drill....

200' of HDMF chain on a 25 ton boat sounds just about right!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I was gonna suggest giving the travel lift operator $20 to put the barrel on deck.

As to that much chain THAT heavy..... I concur. Those of you that have ever flown a real simulator will know exactly what I mean when I call the ground tackle the "freeze button"......

The fact that all I had to do was pull one slip not and kick an anchor with 100' of heavy chain overboard saved my previous 42' boat at least once in tight quarters when the propulsion quit and the 2 knot Atlantic inlet current did not.....

And we're not even talking about a good nights rest in an anchorage without a 3am reset drill....

200' of HDMF chain on a 25 ton boat sounds just about right!
    40 ton. I know, I know. But that's what she was before this extra #500.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC