Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naval Architect in SE FL?

I’d like to get someone that is well-versed in Classic Hatteras to come on board for a preliminary assessment (I’m willing to pay for the time) to determine feasibility and some basic ideas on the following:

- repower with something that will cruise occasionally at 20 knots, but primarily 10 knots economy cruise. I’m sure liking the John Deere 13.5’s that recently were selected by an OP here for a Hatt convertible repower.

- adding an aft section along the lines of what some newer yachts are doing. I’m leaning against a cockpit extension, and thinking of something that integrates the aft deck with a beefy swim platform that becomes “part of” the hull, with one or possibly two sets of molded steps down from the aft deck. My cocktail napkin calculations indicate that I could benefit from about 3500 lbs of additional water displacement to make up for the weight of the gyro stabilizers and the jet tender. I’m assuming this is a big part of why we can’t get on plane now. I’ve read the many good points here about moving the running gear and hope to mitigate that by going with a design that is way less ambitious than an entire cockpit, but that still gives us an improved docking experience and better access to the water than the original aft deck on the MY allows.

- refit all three heads with new countertops, fixtures, etc.

Then there is the sanity check required if spending this amount of money on a 42 year old boat. I keep thinking there has got to be a better way, but also keep reverting back to the conclusion that there is no better platform on the planet than these Hatteras hulls.

I’d like to get an expert (that has specific knowledge and experience with “vintage” Hatteras) on board to walk through these scenarios. I would like someone that is independent of a yard so they aren’t invested in the outcome.

I have made several searches for “naval architect” here on the forum and they get mentioned quite frequently in general, but rarely with a name of a person or firm. Would appreciate any suggestions on a contact here in SE FL. I’m just north of West Palm.

Any wisdom on the sanity check for making (or not making) this kind of investment are also welcome and appreciated...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Naval Architect in SE FL?

See if you can find information for Lou Codega, or Donald Blount; their offices might be able to help you with this. Incidentally it is completely crazy, but you already knew that.

One of the more distinguished N/A in South Florida is Mike Peters. Decades of experience and has done work for all the major boat manufacturers. In addition they have experience in N/A and marine engineering.

My guess is that even if he can't help, he'll know where to send you to find the right firm. Just make sure that who ever you might engage, get a detailed scope of work and associated price before you agree to hire. This is normal course of business for most firms, but by the same token, plenty of shady characters out there and/or opportunity for "misunderstandings".

http://www.mpyd.net/client-list.asp

Good luck!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Crazy like a fox......
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

You might be able to get to the same place by having a discussion with a few of the bigger boat yards that may have already been involved with similar projects on older Hatteras boats, Cable Marine in Ft Lauderdale is the first one that popped into my head.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    See if you can find information for Lou Codega, or Donald Blount; their offices might be able to help you with this. Incidentally it is completely crazy, but you already knew that.
    Thanks Jim (I think!), ha. Anyway, I'll contact both of these this week, I appreciate it!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    One of the more distinguished N/A in South Florida is Mike Peters. Decades of experience and has done work for all the major boat manufacturers. In addition they have experience in N/A and marine engineering.

My guess is that even if he can't help, he'll know where to send you to find the right firm. Just make sure that who ever you might engage, get a detailed scope of work and associated price before you agree to hire. This is normal course of business for most firms, but by the same token, plenty of shady characters out there and/or opportunity for "misunderstandings".

http://www.mpyd.net/client-list.asp

Good luck!
    Thank you Brian. Looks like a great resource, I'll give him a call. Much appreciated...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Just curious what’s your anticipated budget for the project?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You might be able to get to the same place by having a discussion with a few of the bigger boat yards that may have already been involved with similar projects on older Hatteras boats, Cable Marine in Ft Lauderdale is the first one that popped into my head.
    Thanks Cricket, I've reached out to Cable as well. If I'm not mistaken they did some (if not many) of the Hatteras refits and cockpit extensions. They are at the top of my list for yards in the area.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Just curious what’s your anticipated budget for the project?
    If I did the math I'd have already cancelled the plans. Seriously, there is a pretty wide range of scenarios depending on what we decide. Engine rebuilds vs repower, how extensive we go with the aft deck modification, if we try to utilize that extra space for more fuel tankage, maybe even another generator, and so on. Right now I'm thinking $150K to $400K is the range.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL