Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 1979 hatteras 58 yacht fisherman

I am on my 53 with the carpet out the passageway between the engine room and all the way to the aft cabin, including the aft cabin is 6’ 3’’ from the plywood floor. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Here are the measurements:Salon 6 ft 4 and 1/2, AFT enclosed deck 6 ft 4 and 1/2, Deck outside the pilot house door to brow 5feet 11, Galley 6 ft 9 in, Front bunk bed bedroom 6 ft 4 and 1/2 in, Front bunk bed bathroom 6ft 2in, Companionway 6 ft 2 and 1/2,in, Amidships bedroom 6 ft, Master bedroom 6 ft 4 and 1/2, Engine rooms 6ft 2in (appx_ varies), Amidships bathroom 6ft, Master bathroom 6ft, Sorry if spacing is off Im on the boat now and using my phone to send this.
    Last edited by ralexa6808; 09-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMxZxI7-SQ

Quote Originally Posted by ralexa6808 View Post
    Sorry, but I couldn't resist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMxZxI7-SQ
    As big as they are they are always 5’ to short after a month. We all need a bigger boat.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Dear Hatteras owners, thanks for your prompt and very helpful response. Now I just have to decide whether it's worth the effort to fly from Brisbane to MacKay to check it out first-hand. But now I know what I am looking at in terms of headroom--very tight but possible and the only way to find out is to go look-stand-see. I really appreciate the insight.

I am used to ducking, when you are 6 foot 4 1/2 inches (no shoes) you develop the "third eye" for low doorways, going down steps (you instinctively put a hand above and forward of the head), and maneuvering through low headroom spaces--which is helped by strategic handholds which one can always install. But standing for hours at a time or working in the galley--gotta be able to stand with straight spine, especially when one is growing sideways faster than one is shrinking due to age! From the measurements, all depends on the main cabin--one doesn't spend a lot of time below decks in sleeping cabins standing up. And I am used to sitting in most heads to shower and pee--safer, easier, cleaner anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts on this vessel?--repowered with John Deere's with low hours. Survey says all systems AOK, and hull has no blisters. Just needs complete exterior workover. There's an old shipyard surrounded by sugar cane on Richmond River called Yorks that do big boat maintenance, about as cheap as you get in Oz. What would this cost in a US yard?

Not sure about the tanks (fuel tanks are fibreglass). Been on the market for 18 months; almost no use by owners, at this time, just sitting there depreciating. You can find it on yacht world search "Hatteras 58 fisherman australia" and it's the first listing.

As noted in earlier post, I am also looking at an Ocean Alexander Mark II with extended cockpit, but doesn't have the repowered engines and it's in Perth WA, a bloody long haul from northern NSW.

Thank you again, Hatteras is obviously a strong community network!

My comments, and this is just me, not a very good showing of the boat. Not enough pictures, and some are pretty poor quality. The interior looks rough with the way it has been modified, and the fact that pictures of key rooms are missing just makes me wonder why. The wall paper in some sections. The counter work in the galley. Gray paint on the deck? I would ask for more pictures. The engines may be a plus, but I would definitely ask for more details and pictures. It isn't uncommon for there not to be a good set of pictures. When I came across mine, I almost didn't even bother, the information posted was wrong and the boat was far away (1900 miles), but it was a brand new posting. When I contacted the owner, they sent me a whole bunch of information and pictures and I lucked out. I felt even better when I visited it in person. I think the boat is worth visiting, at least for the experience.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

The boat is also showing at www.boatpoint.com.au.I would simply look at the mechanicals and see if all of the electrics, motors, drive train, controls and plumbing were in good condition. Genset and 240 volts wiring ok? How much time do you have to spend renovating?It looks like the blue hull paint is old and you can see the fender marks from the marina along the waterline. Cosmetically they now have tidied up the boat’s interior and seem to have taken new photos now showing on Boatpoint website. Much of the asking price will be for the John Deeres. If I were a betting man, I’d factor in $30000 of enhancements including cosmetics, new mattresses, Bimini, furnishings, upholstery aircon etc. plus any electrics. A rough diamond? Probably. But they have spent the money on the engine refit so they must have had faith.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.