Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1979 hatteras 58 yacht fisherman

I am thinking of buying a 1979 58 Yacht Fisherman. The owners tell me that the mid-line headroom in each cabin is 6 foot 3 inches...which is almost certainly wrong not least because headroom will vary from cabin to cabin in almost every boat I have ever sailed aboard.

I am six foot 4 1/2 inches tall with no shoes. I can manage 6 foot 5 inch cabin midline headroom (I have a 51 foot Alden in SF Bay, but no longer sail). From looking at photos, it appears that the owners have not measured the headroom and the listing broker is too far away from where the vessel is moored to measure herself. It's a long trip for me to go measure it myself with a tape measure, and if the headroom doesn't work, nothing else matters.
    Does anyone know the headroom in each cabin, and in the passageway between the engine-rooms? Or perhaps someone has the drawings that would show the headroom? I would be very grateful. Thank you, Peter Hayes

Re: 1979 hatteras 58 yacht fisherman

You will have to duck between the engine rooms and in both aft heads.

You will also have to use caution boarding port and starboard at the companion way gate, the bridge rolls down and that is when you may be on the way up.

It's a great boat good luck.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Dear Glory, any idea of the headroom in each cabin?

The forum won't let me post links yet; but you can find the boat by searching fisherman 58 hatteras for sale Bundaberg in Yachtworld (the boat is in Queensland). I think it's overpriced although it has been repowered and in good internal condition; and recent survey after haulout suggests no blisters. The external tatty appearance reflects a couple of years of non-use while on the market and not selling--a common story! As a yachtie, having no way out from the aft stateroom except via the passageway forward gives me pause. Is there any reason to not install a hatch in the ceiling to the cockpit for emergency exit? It could even be flush to the surface if done right. Same for the other sleeping cabin aft of the engineroom--presumably it could have a hatch to sole of the cabin above?
    I am also looking at an Ocean Alexander Mark 1 extended to 55 feet, similar vintage and in some respects similar set of living spaces.
    Any comments welcome!

Hi Peter,

I am going to my boat today and will measure the height(s) in each stateroom, bathrooms, the salon and aft deck. I will let you know what I find. One of my Son's is 6'-3" and had an inch or two clearence in the salon. I do remember he had to duck going down the sprial staircase from the salon and also at the steps from the galley to the compaionway.

Also if it helps the broucher for the Yachfish can be found here:
    https://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochures/58YF/58YFB-001.pdf

The brouchere states 6' 4-1/2" in the salon, but as stated in previous posts the brow by the pilot doors when getting aboard are a hazard for someone your height. I'm only 5'-11" and have hit my head on the brow edge stepping on board making the mistake of stepping onto the 5" raised gunwale instead of the deck more than once.

R
    Last edited by ralexa6808; 09-09-2019 at 07:11 AM.

The 53 MY is also 6' 4 1/2", which the 58 cockpit version is derived from.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Also, the emergency exit from the aft cabin is through the windows. That is the same as on a 53. The 53 used to have a hatch that opened into the aft deck, and it was ugly. They later made the rear portals much bigger which then became the emergency exit. Likewise, the 58 yachtfish has a large window from the aft cabin onto the cockpit.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Peter, I’m 6’2” and seem to have plenty of room in my 53’. If memory serves me there is at least 2 to 3” still above me. If you don’t get an answer I’ll measure mine and reply this weekend. Is the 58’ in the Bay Area? I’m up in the delta and haven’t seen one for sale. Best of luck they are wonderful yachts.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If you wait a few years, you may grow into it. I used to be 6'-2" and now I'm 6'-1" and counting backwards.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Most of the internal dimensions below decks of my 50MY seem to correspond to the dimensions of the 53MY and 58YF. I suspect Hatteras kept many of the original jigs for the interior when they lengthened the boats (the extended deckhouse models might differ). I have an aft escape hatch for the master but the guest cabin does not. As the aft AC is usually on I keep the door to the engine room corridor closed to act as a fire barrier and always closed while running. Bow cabin has its own forward hatch.

The guest cabin could benefit from an escape/ventilation hatch but this would have to go into the port side deck. To be waterproof it would have to resemble my aft hatch which is a substantial aluminum casting. When shut this would be a big stumbling block on the deck and a serious fall hazard when open. One would think that the open top-projecting hatch would alert people but I find that if something can happen, it does. My aft hatch opens under the center of the stern setee. When open guests are always stepping through the screen and tearing it even though only a few inches project out from the seat.

At 6'1" I have to remember to be careful going up the three steps between the galley and the engine rooms as I can hit my head if I don't pay attention. Terrible shock to the neck as well as the head. Side salon doors can also do this, but less frequently.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 09-09-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932