Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Blower motor of AC goign bad

After 8 years, the blower motor of the Ocean Breeze 16500 BTU unit has lost some bearings. It is making a loud noise when it runs. I checked the cage inside the housing and it is clean, not rubbing against anything and it is not loose. I called ocean beeze. They told me that I can't just replace the motor and I have to replace the whole blower assembly. The only way to replace the fan assembly is the take the screws that hold it to the evaporator out, and then "pry the coil away from the evaporator until blower unit has enough room to get out".
    I am not sure if prying the coil away from the evaporator is a good idea. Lots of copper joints on the other side. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any other solutions? Or is it OK to pry it like the tecnician said??
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: Blower motor of AC goign bad

I have replaced the midship aircon blower recently.

This American company sent to me in Oz. They have all the fan crossovers and were easy to deal with. Easier to replace the entire motor/fan.

Electric Motor Warehouse info@electricmotorwarehouse.com

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com

The evaporator OR the blower will have a flange and its possible the flange must be reused. Just drill new holes if you cannot use the old screws. Use a bead of silicon around the flange when remounting.

You are unlikely to damage the pipes or fins by unscrewing the flange or blower. Its a straightforward job.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I'm betting Granger supply will have that motor.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I crossed the motor for my evaporator blowers even though they were technically no longer available. Besides the frame size, shaft size, voltage and current, some controllers are sensitive to motor type. Most replacements are PSC but mine required shaded pole to function correctly.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    I crossed the motor for my evaporator blowers even though they were technically no longer available. Besides the frame size, shaft size, voltage and current, some controllers are sensitive to motor type. Most replacements are PSC but mine required shaded pole to function correctly.

George

It depends on the controller, but some will allow you to change motor types. The FX1 has that option in the setup.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI