Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Bitter End anchor

Quote Originally Posted by CTdave View Post
    Ouch, glad you recovered it! I was close to Oyster Bay for Dolan's fireworks four years ago when a nautical nitwit caught/cut my anchor line. He must have had spurs because we didn't feel a thing. I noticed we were drifting but hard as we tried the following weekend, we never could find my stainless plow anchor. $$$$
    One more really good reason to use all chain.....

Walt

Put a caliper of the chain link. Here are the measurements:
    Overall Length - 1-7/8"
    Overall width - 1-3/8"
    Diameter of chain - 3/8"

So this would be what kind of chain?
    It fits snugly into the wildcat.

What type and size of line should I use to tie it off to the boat?

While your still rolling your eyes at these simpleton questions....... There is a large nut at the top of the capstan. Is this the nut I loosen to free fall the anchor?

Robert, should the chain be prepared in any way to accept the paint? Perhaps some type of acid to clean it up, or is this a waste of time and I should just plan on touching it up when needed?

Thanks in advance
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

In the world of chains, is this stuff any good?

What size line braided for bitter end?

For my 56', how much chain should I have? I know its a function of weight, at 60 tons, what do you think? It looks like it has the original anchor that came with the boat from the factory.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    In the world of chains, is this stuff any good?

What size line braided for bitter end?

For my 56', how much chain should I have? I know its a function of weight, at 60 tons, what do you think? It looks like it has the original anchor that came with the boat from the factory.
    Not knowing conditions under which you might anchor, I'd get a drum of 200' as the minimum.

ACCO is a division of Peerless. Both are made in USA. I didn't see it, but make sure it's HDG.

I just cleaned my chain before painting. The acid eats the galvanized finish. The windlass, other chain and the water with what's in it will all have their way with the paint.

Just guessing on rode, but I'd say if chain is 3/8" the rode could be 1/2". Windlass manufacturer is final authority.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The line i spliced at the end looks like 3/4

I like 250’ of chain. Just replaced the chain on my 53 which uses 1/4” BBB. A little thin but isn’t want to replace the windlass gipsy. Because 1/4” BBB is hard to find I could only get 175’ so I spliced another 150’ of line. We rarely anchor in more than 15’ of water anyway

I rarely get paint to last more than a few months but we anchor a lot.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Is the nut on top of the windless to release chain?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Is the nut on top of the windless to release chain?
    Yes, that puts tension on the clutch plates. Loosen it and the anchor will free fall.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I know some of my questions are rather rudimentary. Thanks for your help
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

The project is progressing.
    Pulled all 250' of chain out of the locker. It's in pretty good shape, not much rust and the most of the galvanizing appears intact. I have released the shackle from the pad eye and cleaned up the locker. Going to paint with Bilgekote, cause if Robert ever was to inspect the work I don't want a disapproving glare.

While the paint dries, its time to order the rode to attach to the bitter end. Looks like if I could find an already braided line into the thimble, that would save some time. Plan is to attach thimble to the shackle and then into the pad eye. I'll braid the line to the anchor chain, tapering the end so as not to jamb in the wildcat.

I have seen setups on line, but seem to come with 200' of line. I was thinking of only putting 20' in the locker, as it is going to be used for emergency cut loose only.

So the question now is, what type of line (amsteel seems like overkill as if it is deployed I'll be cutting it in an emergency). Anyone have a good source for short lengths? Was planning on 5/8" three strand. Is that thick enough?

As always the advice is greatly appreciated
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"