Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Bitter End anchor

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    I have an Ideal MODEL BHW. Verticle windlass. Says they were built specifically for Hatteras thick decks Does this require a special size chain?
    The wildcat on the Ideal or Galleymaid will have the size stamped on it. You can get different size wildcats for different chain.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

On mine, which is all chain, I don't tie it off. It used to be attached to a shackle that was simply screwed into the keel/stem, but that proved to be a bad idea the day my buddy kept his foot on the "down" button too long and I left 400' of chain on the bottom of Long Island Sound. When we finally recovered it with a grapnel, I wanted something failsafe so I bored a hole through a short piece of telephone pole cross arm, slid the chain through the hole, and bolted it back to itself.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

3. Re: Bitter End anchor

You should always secure the end of the chain to the boat with a piece of line, preferably some type of aramid line such as Amsteel. You never know when the day will come when you have to dump the chain in an emergency.

Keep a sharp knife stowed in the forward cabin so that when day ever comes, you will have something to cut it with.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    You never know when the day will come when you have to dump the chain in an emergency.
    I did just that and it was, as always, ready to go..stopped the motion...saved the day.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

There should be a padbeye on the floor of the locker.
    ALWAYS use some line spliced in the chain to attach it to the eye. The line will slip against the gipsy and prevent damage to the windlass. The line allows you to cut the rose loose in an emergency

If you don’t have a pad eye you can tie a big knot at the end of the line so it can’t go thru
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As Kelpy said but us a piece long enough that if you let out all the chain the line comes out on deck, makes it easier to cut in an emergency if it is on deck. Also mark the chain in a way that you know when the end is about to come on deck. Came within about 30 seconds of having to do this in Fiji when a small cruise ship was dragging down on us with no one on board, luckily a guy got on board at the last second and got it started and moved out of the way. Had a bit of extra laundry to do that day. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Battery powered grinder with 41/2" cutoff wheel will make the chain disappear over the bow roller PDQ.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Unless it’s raining or high seas are spraying seawater everywhere or you need to stop and recharge batteries.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Talking Re: Bitter End anchor

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Unless it’s raining or high seas are spraying seawater everywhere or you need to stop and recharge batteries.
    Why get wet, when you can lean into chain locker from fwd cabin to do the deed. Milwaukee 18v could cut my 3/8" chain 20 times, and still have enough juice to cut anchor up as well. Oh and it cuts nylon rode, not so sure about knife on hi test chain.
    Must confess that knife does better at filleting fish.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    On mine, which is all chain, I don't tie it off. It used to be attached to a shackle that was simply screwed into the keel/stem, but that proved to be a bad idea the day my buddy kept his foot on the "down" button too long and I left 400' of chain on the bottom of Long Island Sound. When we finally recovered it with a grapnel, I wanted something failsafe so I bored a hole through a short piece of telephone pole cross arm, slid the chain through the hole, and bolted it back to itself.
    Ouch, glad you recovered it! I was close to Oyster Bay for Dolan's fireworks four years ago when a nautical nitwit caught/cut my anchor line. He must have had spurs because we didn't feel a thing. I noticed we were drifting but hard as we tried the following weekend, we never could find my stainless plow anchor. $$$$