Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bitter End anchor

Finally getting around to attaching a nylon rope to bitter end of our anchor chain. Looking in the locker, don't see anything solid to tie it off to. Suggestions? Also, what do i measure to determine the size of the existing chain?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Re: Bitter End anchor

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Finally getting around to attaching a nylon rope to bitter end of our anchor chain. Looking in the locker, don't see anything solid to tie it off to. Suggestions? Also, what do i measure to determine the size of the existing chain?
    If you go to the Maxwell Windlass site, they have specs on chain.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks Robert. What do guys tie off the bitter to?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Thanks Robert. What do guys tie off the bitter to?
    This is what I have--steel L embedded in locker deck. In fact, have one on each side of locker.

IMG_0038.JPG
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Okay, I'll pull the chain from the locker and see if those plates are under the pile. Thx again
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Chain is measure by the thickness of the links, the length of the link describes what kind of chain it is.

P

Okay, I'll put a caliper on it and report back. Thx
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

After learning the hard way multiple times, I finally went to West Marine and ordered the chain and nylon line for my Maxwell. They are very specific and extremely finicky if it's not the exact spec for the windlass model. West supplied it all including the splice which also has to be under a certain diameter.
    As far as the bracket in the anchor locker, I'm certain you have it buried your chain. Most boats have them there from when they pull the hull from the mold

I have an Ideal MODEL BHW. Verticle windlass. Says they were built specifically for Hatteras thick decks Does this require a special size chain?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by CTdave View Post
    After learning the hard way multiple times, I finally went to West Marine and ordered the chain and nylon line for my Maxwell. They are very specific and extremely finicky if it's not the exact spec for the windlass model. West supplied it all including the splice which also has to be under a certain diameter.As far as the bracket in the anchor locker, I'm certain you have it buried your chain. Most boats have them there from when they pull the hull from the mold
    You can always get it at West if you don’t care about cost. Or, you can select the exact chain from Maxwell’s website, for example, and buy it for maybe half price. The splice isn’t an issue as long as you keep it tight and put a taper on it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC