Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

"Winterizing" 58 LRC

Unfortunately, my 58 LRC will be staying in Mystic, CT for the winter. I will take the time to do some needed maintenance, upgrades and repairs. I will be staying in the water and will shrink wrap down to the rub rail.

On my previous boat (1989 44 Ocean SS), I always stayed in the water in the winter and never winterized any system... including fresh water. I put 3-4 oil filled heaters on the boat and had the engine block heaters energized. This provided enough "heat soak" to keep everything from freezing and this method worked in the coldest of winters for 14 years. I had the grey plastic piping for fresh water on that boat.

I've done some research on this forum and noted that a lot of my fresh water system on the 58 LRC is likely copper piping/tubing.... which we all know is not very forgiving to freezing temperatures… and frankly gives me some serious concerns about developing possible leaks or breaks in the old copper piping.

I'm torn between using my old methods and having functioning water systems (head, shower, etc) and totally winterizing the fresh water system by either using an air compressor or using the pink stuff.

I've also thought about partially winterizing some of the fresh water lines like the aft deck wet bar, ice maker and cockpit washdown and leaving rest of system operational.

I'm totally open to suggestions and others experiences here.....

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by JD5652; 09-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL