Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Market for 1980s 52c?

Awesome feedback, everyone. I really appreciate it. I’ll see if I can get in touch with Cricket as well. If you see or know of anything promising, feel free to PM me.

Where are you located?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

For the right boat, I’m flexible, but perhaps the west coast is slightly easier for me.

I am Currently in the market for the same boat, let me know what you take a look at if you don't purchase it. I have a couple I want to see but can't really get to them right now with my better half.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by The Hatt View Post
    I’d assume a 40 year old boat is very close to the bottom of its depreciation curve
    The depreciation curve of any boat bottoms out at 20 years, if not sooner. Some boats, like these Hatts, were built well enough that depending on model their bare hull is worth $XX,000 regardless of age. Assuming said hull and interior is in halfway decent shape the value of the whole is loosely determined by how good the paint is, (50K to replace), the condition of the engines (60K to replace), generators (20K) AC's (20+K)and so on and so forth.... So you asses where all these components are in their lifecycle based on age and maintenance performed (or not).

You can almost do a spreadsheet on it.....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-09-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    You can almost do a spreadsheet on it.....
    I do a pretty in-depth spreadsheet on every boat I've bought. Pretty amazing the insight you can gain by putting it all down on paper. That spreadsheet then becomes my maintenance log and parts list and punch-list once the boat is purchased.

I list pretty much every part I encounter on the boat with the actual real part number, description and a url/link to an online source for the part. So then when it's time to do maintenance or just pickup some spares I know EXACTLY what I need and don't have to rely on a parts counter guy for my info.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

One of the big factors is the availability of insurance for these old boats. I’ve heard quite a few people saying they have gotten non renewal notices lately. Having to pay cash or leverage other assets is going to weigh heavily on the value. And it is a high risk asset that is always in danger of sinking fire or accidents. A few years ago decent 52c/s with 650 hp 92/s were around 100k with the HP ones in the 150-200 range. Later ones had cored hulls so that’s something to watch for.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    One of the big factors is the availability of insurance for these old boats.
    That statement comes up like clockwork on this forum and then a bunch of people debunk it. Do a search, I don't have any links at my fingertips....
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That statement comes up like clockwork on this forum and then a bunch of people debunk it. Do a search, I don't have any links at my fingertips....
    Since you’re boatless I don’t suppose you have any experience with insuring one of these old girls
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Since you’re boatless I don’t suppose you have any experience with insuring one of these old girls
    No, but I've been reading this forum for a few years now. I stand by my statement. And, there's always Grundy.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay