Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Market for 1980s 52c?

I didn’t realize there was an “hp” version. Is that just referencing the 1998ish update to the bridge layout and salon?

Higher HP engines 740? I think and cored hull. Ballerina is a 52 hp that sunk in hurricane Frances in 04 still sits at cracker boys boat works in Ft Pierce fl. A piling rubbed through the hull and coreing I bid on her at auction and thank god didn't get her. The hull is very thin. And contrary to popular belief the coreing extends below the waterline to the chine. Seen it with my own eyes.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    One of the big factors is the availability of insurance for these old boats. I’ve heard quite a few people saying they have gotten non renewal notices lately. Having to pay cash or leverage other assets is going to weigh heavily on the value. And it is a high risk asset that is always in danger of sinking fire or accidents. A few years ago decent 52c/s with 650 hp 92/s were around 100k with the HP ones in the 150-200 range. Later ones had cored hulls so that’s something to watch for.
    We were able to get several insurance quotes, only 1 company denied coverage b/c they do not insure old boats at all (thinking it was boat us). We opted for liability and self insure (paid cash for the boat, no lien). It was a personal decision for us to go with liability only but there were definitely several options available for full coverage insurance.

I too have heard people talk about having trouble getting insurance coverage but I did not experience this at all when shopping around, several companies were willing to insure. They all wanted hurricane plans and pics of the vessel, a few of them wanted surveys, but several were willing to insure.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 09-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

We encountered a situation with our insurance that was a welcome blessing. Pantaenius was our underwriter until the agency we were with dropped them as a carrier. The agency then quoted us some ridiculous premium with half the coverage we had. We contacted Panteanius directly and they renewed the policy without the middleman. The premium was 15% less than through the agency and we increased our personals by $10k. A little leg work can go a long way

Last time we got dropped (for being in Florida, despite no claims in 53 years) I looked into liability only but it turned out this coverage was in the United States only. As we spent most of our time in the Bahamas this wouldn't work.

Eventually, by combining all my insurance--cars, office, home, etc.--with one company I was able to get comprehensive coverage and also cut my costs a bit. Of course, never having submitted a claim I have no idea if they ever pay out!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

The insurance thing must have to do with other factors as well, because I got insurance in 10 minutes with BoatUS on my 40 year old Hatt and I have never owned a boat before. Survey maybe? Location (although, I am in Florida)? Boat History? Owner History? Or maybe the companies are just managing risk and get to a threshold where they will not write any more policies (or even cancel some) for the time being and then when things change they are writing policies again.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Or maybe the companies are just managing risk and get to a threshold where they will not write any more policies (or even cancel some) for the time being and then when things change they are writing policies again.
    This I think is a real possibility. it's not the boat per se, it's that they are managing their exposure in a region/market.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay