Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Market for 1980s 52c?

In your estimation, how’s the US market for 52c’s of the 1982-1988 vintage? Buyer’s or seller’s?I’m looking at a couple in the 170k-190k asking price range. Pre-survey inspections haven’t revealed a pristine boat...each have their quirks. All are the galley up layout. All have the 8v92 Detroit’s. One has a supposedly recent rebuild (new head, sleeves, pistons, rods, bearings, injectors, turbos), but a smaller generator, no water maker, and a few other oddities. The others have more hours, but perhaps a better overall package. None have detailed owner history or maintenance back to the 80s.Seems to me that with diesel prices where they are, and the overall cost to maintain one of these things, they aren’t in high demand. Things get worse if you believe we’re heading into a recession in the next year. Perhaps I should just follow the sage advice on this forum, and be patient until I find a repowered 45cII.Or perhaps put new engines in an early 70s 42c that I know had been taken care of.Decisions decisions, and could certainly benefit from the collective wisdom here.

Re: Market for 1980s 52c?

They’re 84-90 hi perf started in 88 I think. price seems high.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

It's supply and demand. I've been watching my segment of interest for a few years now. I know what's for sale, how long it's been for sale and what sells. Little harder to get the actual sales prices but I get a few here and there.

At the end of the day you have to answer the question for yourself....

As to expecting a water maker.... I've only seen them on boats owned by long range cruisers. And, most of the time they are ready for overhaul after said cruise.

Maintenance records 40 years back? Good luck with that. Far and few between.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I agree with you, Oscar. boat will be used for socal fishing purposes, so some range / speed would be nice, but neither needs to be excessive. Comfortable ride in typical conditions is worth paying for, however, hence my leaning towards the 52. I’d assume a 40 year old boat is very close to the bottom of its depreciation curve, but it hard to imagine the bottom is 170k (even with rebuilt engines).

I think on many of these boats, forty years might include 3-4 owners. Not much chance of maintenance records surviving all those transitions.

Anyone have an opinion on the 1987 52 repowered with 3406 cats on yacht World? Seems to fit the bill nicely. Can’t post a link yet, unfortunately. PM me if it’s easier.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hatt View Post
    I’d assume a 40 year old boat is very close to the bottom of its depreciation curve
    The depreciation curve of any boat bottoms out at 20 years, if not sooner. Some boats, like these Hatts, were built well enough that depending on model their bare hull is worth $XX,000 regardless of age. Assuming said hull and interior is in halfway decent shape the value of the whole is loosely determined by how good the paint is, (50K to replace), the condition of the engines (60K to replace), generators (20K) AC's (20+K)and so on and so forth.... So you asses where all these components are in their lifecycle based on age and maintenance performed (or not).

You can almost do a spreadsheet on it.....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-09-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    You can almost do a spreadsheet on it.....
    I do a pretty in-depth spreadsheet on every boat I've bought. Pretty amazing the insight you can gain by putting it all down on paper. That spreadsheet then becomes my maintenance log and parts list and punch-list once the boat is purchased.

I list pretty much every part I encounter on the boat with the actual real part number, description and a url/link to an online source for the part. So then when it's time to do maintenance or just pickup some spares I know EXACTLY what I need and don't have to rely on a parts counter guy for my info.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL