Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shot Gun Fuses ?

While prepping to evacuate Miami Beach from Dorian, I had the 2 Air-conditioners blasting along with AC tools, fans etc and all of a sudden all the AC appliances shut down. I was plugged into shore power via the 50 amp line. I checked the AC panel, the dock outlet, the shore power cord and everything checked out. So I consulted the HOF where All Truthes Emanate from and I came across the term Shot Gun fuse and is the only reasonable explanation. That is that I smoked an in-line unbeknownst (and unfindable) to me fuse.

This pic is after removing the cover next to the shore power plug in receptacles on the 1985 45C. Are those the fuses in the pic ? Any special tools to remove them ? Obviously I will disconnect the shore power line and keep the generator off but any special electric panel settings or anything that anyone can warn me about in terms of electrical safety ?

Thank you for any assistance.

Greg
    1985 45C
    Hat Time
    Attached Images

Re: Shot Gun Fuses ?

It’s hard to see this photo. If the ones on the left are a plastic cover held in with two screws you found it. Remove the screws, grab the plastic cover with A pair of (viscrips/channel locks) (Spelling is probably wrong) unscrew to reveal the shot gun fuse. Make sure all power is off including inverter. I’m trying to find a photo of what mine looks like if I do post it. The shotgun fuses are readily available at Home Depot‘s in Ace hardware’s.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

These are not mine but I found them on a link. I circled the fuse cover. BTW if the plant overs comes off grab the black cover underneath it and unscrew.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    These are not mine but I found them on a link. I circled the fuse cover. BTW if the plant overs comes off grab the black cover underneath it and unscrew.
    Plastic Covers. Damn spell check. NOT.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The more you need the AC the more likely it will give you trouble. Please don't ask how I know!

Thank YOU so much. I really appreciate the help. I’m off to Home Depot in the am. Cheers !!!

Greg
    1985 45C
    Hat Time

Fuses out and I didn’t Auto-Defibrillate my self. The fuses came out with the “rim” facing forward in some and inside the receptacle in others. Is there a preferred way to load these babies. Also, the fuse box and adjacent area look relatively clean. Is spraying the fuses and receptacles with Boeshield or the like an acceptable practice ?

Thank you,

Greg
    1985 45c
    Hat Time

I took a Dremel tool with a brass brush and cleaned out the entire cylinder. Then I smeared dielectric grease all over the ends of the shotgun fuse and then installed.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Just reinforcing seven’s comment. When trying to pull 50 amps through something, resistance is a killer. I popped several 50a fuses when I initially got my boat. Cords and cables were really heating up too. I had to swap out some bad lugs on the back side of the shore power box and slather everything in copper conductive grease. Cool as a cucumber now and no further issues. I use the copper grease on the ends of my shotgun fuses and even the blades of the power plug receptacles. Highly recommend.

Copper grease? Do u mean di-electric grease?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"