Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for educated est. on boat travel days. Baltimore Area, West Palm, Ft Myers, O

We have a interest in several boats and are trying to get a educated guess at required moving travel days. Yes, I understand weather, mechanicals, and etc are not included. Just how many days do you think it would take for a hired captain to make the trip. Baltimore to West Palm, West Palm to Fort Myers, Fort Myers to Orange Beach? I am think Hull speed aboard a 48-52c? Thanks. There is no legal implications of you are wrong. Thanks
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Looking for educated est. on boat travel days. Baltimore Area, West Palm, Ft Myer

If you make 100nm / day it’s been a very good day. Start subtracting from that number if staying at marinas. Can do more per day, but involves VERY long days.

Re: Looking for educated est. on boat travel days. Baltimore Area, West Palm, Ft Myer

My bride and I took our boat from Ft. Lauderdale to Chester, Nova Scotia, in 40 days. We generally went 14-16 kts. and mostly on the outside (more use of autopilot, no wake complaints). Fog set in at Norfolk and pretty much stayed the rest of the way so this cut us down to hull speed, 9 kts. Since this was supposed to be fun for us we stayed in Cape Canaveral for a shuttle launch, Manteo NC, Boston (at the old Long Wharf downtown), Newport, Southwest Harbor ME, maybe some others for two days or so and stayed in port if the weather was rough. We could make 100-150 nmi. per day. Most nights we stayed in marinas because we needed to refuel and wash the boat. We would leave at dawn and tried to be at a fuel dock by 4 in case we would have to divert to another. Amazingly we didn't get lost, didn't hit anything and never ran aground. It was just a great trip. The return was about the same although we added NYC, Washington D.C., Delaware and Chesapeake Bays with more sightseeing since now we could estimate the trip better. And rode out a hurricane in St. Michaels, MD.

If I were a real delivery captain and not a sightseer I would estimate this trip would take about three weeks, weather permitting and not running at night. But then we would have missed one of our best adventures ever!
    Last edited by Fanfare; 09-05-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Havent made that entire trip. MIami to Marathon is a day, Marathon to Marco Island is a day, Marco to Venice is a day, A day to Clearwater, then Orange Beach is 3 days. From Cllearwater Municipal depart early, going straight across to Panama City.. it's about 180 miles across and I personally think the sea crossing at night is calmer. Then ICW to Orange Beach. So, I'd plan at least a week from Miami to Orange Beach. You'll have to get one of the East Coast boys for the other info... Although I did bring one from New Bruswick NS, South headed toward Maryland... but that didn't work out to well... love me some Pod drives...not
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 09-05-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Why are you thinking hull speed only? If I were a delivery capt (i am not) and was on a boat capable of 20knts I'd want to do some of the time at 20knts (or whatever number that is). Even if it were just a few hours a day would drastically shorten the time of the trip.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Why are you thinking hull speed only? If I were a delivery capt (i am not) and was on a boat capable of 20knts I'd want to do some of the time at 20knts (or whatever number that is). Even if it were just a few hours a day would drastically shorten the time of the trip.
    I agree with that, a Captain mentioned a cost savings at Hull Speed. I guess it would depend on fuel consumption and Captain fees. I think it is a wash and I would leave it up to the Captain.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Thanks for all of the information given so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    My bride and I took our boat from Ft. Lauderdale to Chester, Nova Scotia, in 40 days.
    Chester, Nova Scotia is a beautiful place. My ex-inlaws used to own Gooseberry Island. I called it the most beautiful place I would never see again.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Lot less wear n tear on the boat doing 80 to 100 nm a day on the ICW (assuming shoaling doesn’t get agrvated by Dorian). I used to do Miami Norfolk in 12 days with a 70 mostly hull speed. On a smaller boat the fuel savings aren’t as big. I used to do it solo and anchoring most of the nights so hull speed was much cheaper. If you pay for a mate plus dockage and restaurant, running 20kts may be a little cheaper

So 12 days Plus one day to Baltimore and 3 to 4 days across the OWW and up to orange beach. Figure 2 1/2 weeks
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've done Tampa to Annapolis in 20 days. That included 2 days at Hilton Head and 2 days in Charleston.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI