Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Robert Clarkson ASLAN Dorian?

Looks like we’re almost in the clear now. Weather keeps saying SC is in for big surge.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Robert Clarkson ASLAN Dorian?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Looks like we’re almost in the clear now. Weather keeps saying SC is in for big surge.
    Best of luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for checking on me! Been a bit occupied. Aslan ran south on Tuesday for Hilton Head. So far, looks like a good choice. Windmill Harbor has a lock system that eases the surge. Additionally, I'm surrounded by higher ground and large houses that will help with the initial northerly winds. We will flood and overtop the bulkheads, so Aslan is rigged to adjust lines from onboard. Last year, Savannah (adjacent) saw a flood tide of 12'-6', a record. I think I'll be OK if we don't get over fourteen or maybe a bit more. But, there will be no wave action in here.

Boat ran well. Made the trip in 5H-45M, 200 Gals. of fuel.

https://youtu.be/YSyYqxPaRgs

Looks like things in Charleston will be a bit worse than anticipated. Glad I got out. The marina was a cluster F#&#@ with a number of folks not even bothering to show up. My commitment to maintenance continues to payoff. A number of boats made their first cruise of 2019 over the weekend only to be towed back.

On an ironic note, my office called yesterday to report my 200' of 1/2" chain arrived.

Will post a couple more videos of the cruise and final preparations. Thanks again to all who have checked in on me. I sure hope everyone in Dorian's path will make it through. Let me know what I can do to help post-storm.

Robert
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Best of luck on all this, RAC. Keeping your boat ready to run does pay off, doesn't it. My storm prep includes filling the fuel tanks, doubling up all the lines, taking down or roping down all the canvas, and laying all the antennas down. That has worked in the past, hope it does this time.

They are boarding up our OBX house. That one I'm worried about, but there's nothing I can do from up here.

Keeping my fingers crossed in Little River, SC. Canvas is down, decks are cleared, extra lines to floating dock and fenders. I'm not there, but I'm told Lightkeeper's is a good hurricane hole. It would be a heck of a note to lose the boat before ever getting it home. Best luck to all.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed in Little River, SC. Canvas is down, decks are cleared, extra lines to floating dock and fenders. I'm not there, but I'm told Lightkeeper's is a good hurricane hole. It would be a heck of a note to lose the boat before ever getting it home. Best luck to all.
    Sounds like you’re in the same boat I was 3 yrs ago when we bought Blue Bayou in Little River just before Matthew. We were on the hard at Grande Harbour Marina having Juan recore our foredeck. Boat came through without a scratch, hope the same for you. BTW, I see Grande Harbour is for sale...hope that works out OK for the small independents who work out of there - they’re all good guys.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Tuesday, Sept. 3rd, Port Royal Sound. Paris Island to starboard, autopilot driving (astern view) and Lady's Island to port. Fourth year in a row headed to Windmill Harbor on Hilton Head. Everyone normally loves and invitation to cruise on Aslan. Funny thing, this is the fourth time I've had to singlehand her here. It's early, hope I don't have to make a return trip in '19. But if I do, all applications to serve in the Bolivian Navy will be given due consideration.

https://youtu.be/S8oq7GcP0Js

Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Fair winds and calm seas wished to all.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Tuesday, Sept. 3rd, Port Royal Sound. Paris Island to starboard, autopilot driving (astern view) and Lady's Island to port. Fourth year in a row headed to Windmill Harbor on Hilton Head. Everyone normally loves and invitation to cruise on Aslan. Funny thing, this is the fourth time I've had to singlehand her here. It's early, hope I don't have to make a return trip in '19. But if I do, all applications to serve in the Bolivian Navy will be given due consideration. https://youtu.be/S8oq7GcP0Js
    Glad to crew if you ever need a hand Robert. Lady’s Island Marina is one of our favorite stops, very nice people. Hope they make it through OK.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Robert your fuel burn sounds off to me. 5 hours to do 45 miles tells me you were running about 9 knots. My burn at that speed is about 15GPH or 0.6 NMPG. That would be 75 gallons pretty much either way less generator. Maybe the round trip will be 200 gallons. Hope everything comes out well for you. We dodged the bullet over here but were in the cross hairs a couple days