Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Helping victims of the Hurricane

I will vouch for Skipper Gentry of "the Carolina Gentleman" mentioned above. My son went to East Carolina University with Skipper. He is at Morgan's Bluff which is on the northern end of Andros which is 35 miles west of Nassau. We stopped there a few weeks ago on our way back from the Exumas. He is building a home there for him to live in. He will be going to the Abacos to help out probably with some of the Charter Captains at Chubb Cay. A lot of the owners of those boats are extremely well off. As mentioned above he can be found on Facebook or on the Chubb Cay website.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Re: Helping victims of the Hurricane

Go to. Dorian Yacht Chat. The below is from there.

**PLEASE READ**

I know a lot of yachts are planing to make a trip with supplies and to help out. I am not going to list the reasons you should wait before going, but as a former USCG first responder to hurricane areas and on the ground during Lenny and Marilyn I will tell you what I learned.

Currently, they are in rescue mode. It will take some time before supply stations are set up and the locals know where to go to get supplies. Trust me, right now it is in total chaos mode. It's going to be a grab all you can and run. unfortunately, this gets ugly, and you better be prepared for that.

The best thing you can provide from a yacht with power and a galley is food. Hot food, and lots of it. In Lenny we were feeding 30 people a day and housed about 25. We had children sleeping on the salon floor, sofas, on deck, basically anywhere.

Unfortunately, when people get desperate things take a really bad turn.. This will include weapons, You better be prepared for anything. It gets really dark at night with no power.

You will find out very quickly that inlets have shoaled over or shoals have completely moved. A 10 ft channel is now 4 ft. The water will be a poop brown and you will be unable to see anything just under the water. engines will overheat with the mud in the cooling systems, watermakers are not usable.

People are going to want to use your communications system to call loved ones. your power to charge phones.

The amount of supplies you can fit on a yacht is nothing compared to a container drop. It will be up to you to get supplies ashore and somehow secure them. This will not be easy or safe. Again, locals are in rescue mode, not lets get these supplies ashore mode.

I can go on and on but my feelings are if you are going to over, from my experience, the thing I saw the most (that a yacht can provide) was the problem of food and water. A hot meal is a great moral booster. If a yacht can take up station and crank out 100 grilled cheese sandwiches at lunch and dinner time and walk around and hand them out. I think this would be a great help.

Again, The Coast Guard and British navy are in rescue mode, saving lives mode. It's best to stay out of their way until they get the area stabilized.

And I'll be clear on this point. I think you should wait until the pros have the situation under control.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Good Advice Tom. While most of us have good intentions, very few are equipped to cope with the
    conditions described by Tom. You want to help the bad situation not add to it...

Walt

My daughter got a message from a friend on GBI that gangs of looters are shooting at coast guard and responders. I know they have had problems with the Haitian’s that ended up there trying to get to the US.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present