Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacing waste hose from toilet

I have a 54 1990 ED MY. It appears that that the aft stateroom toilet waste line is getting restricted. Any insight in replacing that hose? The run is to midship where the holding tank is. Or any chemical / product that might breakdown the buildup inside the hose?

Thanks,

Re: Replacing waste hose from toilet

The only thing that really works is to remove the hose, take onto the dock and beat it on the dock to break up the calcium build up inside, big chunks will come out of the hose and it will become noticeably lighter in weight. Or of course you can replace it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

You can flush a solution of muriatic acid but I agree with John. Replace it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If you goal is to unclog it a half gallon of white vinegar will do the trick. Chunks of calcium may stick in the duck valves but a few bowl fulls of hot water and more vinegar will break them down. We always run a cup down every few days, works wonders.
    Last edited by Blowncar; 08-30-2019 at 10:57 AM.

I own the same boat. I replaced mine about 4 years ago. It took me less than 3 hours and 43' of 1" trident hose. I bought a 50' coil and had plenty to do all the 1" discharge side of the system for that head

I think what I did is about the easiest way to do it. Loosen all the hose clamps (the ones strapping the hose in place. There were several on the outboard side of the starboard engine, 1 in the cabinet to the left of the master head sink and several in the bilge area of the midship cabin (the one with the large hatch on the inboard side of the berth They might have been a few by the pump too- I don't recall the total number of them). I cut the hose in the starboard bilge forward the engine. Cut two small piece of one inch dowel rod, insert in the old hose and also into one end of the new hose. Secure with one or two 1/2" screws. Have someone in the head pulling while someone is in the Er feeding the new line. Do the same from the Er to the foward through hull in the midship cabin. Essentilly you are pulling new hose 1/2 the length from the center. Resecure the hose clamps.

While I was at it, I also replaced the 1" discharge from the pump to the vented loop. I changed the stators and seals on the galley maid pump too. Last, new vented loop and new check valve near the through hull. Good luck! I think iot is more intimidating to think about it than to actually do it!
    I do run some phosphoric acid through all my heads every couple of months to keep the build up down.