Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Main electrical panel at lower helm station

Apologies if this has been asked and answered. There is the (likelihood?) that my enthusiasm to ask my question exceeds my ability to do research on previous threads.

Yesterday there was a loss of power at the marina that was address in just a couple of hours. When power returned some anomalous behavior returned with it.

Background: I have two 50 amp cords plugged into two different dock power pylons; one port, one starboard. I took steps to ensure that I was using Source 1 (A) and Source 2 (B).

When power returned I was unable to get both services working properly.

The interesting/perplexing thing to me is that I can create the problem on which ever Source side (port or starboard) that I start up second.

Whichever source side I bring up first Source 1 (port) or Source 2 (starboard) either A or B works fine.

The second source, when coming up is typified by the source indicator light fading out and the 240 volt meter failing to register.

I am able to replicate the behavior with whichever source side I bring up first, the second displays the same behavior; the indicator lamp flickers lightly and the top volt meter fails to read 240 volts.

Before I turn the marina's electrician loose on a (expensive?) exploration; I was hoping to solicit some advice on how to better narrow my potential list of issues.

The Admiral's explanation of boat gremlin's has been mostly discounted. Pretty Much.

TIA

v/r
    Timothy

"If your leaders demand loyalty; provide integrity;
    If your leaders demand integrity, provide loyalty."
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Re: Main electrical panel at lower helm station

I would start by asking the marina why the power failed and what was done to fix it.

Have you tried connecting to different pedestal or swapping the cords?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quite possibly the 2 50 amp bayonet fuses.. I'd check there 2nd. Very easy fix and even Krogers carries the fuses. I'd check the isolation transformer breakers 1st.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 08-28-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I would start by asking the marina why the power failed and what was done to fix it.

Have you tried connecting to different pedestal or swapping the cords?
    Power is making it from each of the two dock power pylons to the boat. I'm able to procure power from port side power pylon w/o issue. I'm able to procure power from the starboard side pylon without issue. Hence the pylons are OK, the cables are OK and the power registers inside the boat, so the external bus fuses are also OK.

I can't do anything about history, so I'm leaving the marina alone; except for the occasional intemperate thought.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Quite possibly the 2 50 amp bayonet fuses.. I'd check there 2nd. Very easy fix and even Krogers carries the fuses. I'd check the isolation transformer breakers 1st.
    I am good up until the power comes inside the boat. Which is why this confuses me so much....

The issue occurs after I connect up the first 50 AMP cord and distribute electrical service into the boat. Introducing the second 50 AMP cable causes my issue. Oddly enough without regard to how I initiate service.

There are 4 possible permutations; of which I only have context / length of cable to support 2

which are;

Source 1/Port A; Source 2/Starboard B plug in
    Source 1/Port B; Source 2/Starboard A plug in

Since the power pylons in my marina only have 1 50 AMP outlet; and due to length of cable I cannot configure;

Source 1/Port A; Source 1/Port B
    or
    Source 2/Starboard A; Source 2/Starboard B
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"