Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Green Copper Pipes

Repair and replacement work continues and has now moved to aft bilge area under and around OSR bed. Looking for leaks mostly. Have found plenty... air con hose fallen out of sump box, leaking deck cleat (used Captain Tolly liquid), leaking port rudder gland.

Some copper steering pipes in aft port corner are badly green with oxidation from salt water gasses or past water leaks. What chemical can be used to remove the green from the copper pipes? I have read up on copper pipe oxidation, but the only cleaning suggestion was to use lemon juice.

Any other ideas?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Green Copper Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Repair and replacement work continues and has now moved to aft bilge area under and around OSR bed. Looking for leaks mostly. Have found plenty... air con hose fallen out of sump box, leaking deck cleat (used Captain Tolly liquid), leaking port rudder gland.Some copper steering pipes in aft port corner are badly green with oxidation from salt water gasses or past water leaks. What chemical can be used to remove the green from the copper pipes? I have read up on copper pipe oxidation, but the only cleaning suggestion was to use lemon juice.Any other ideas?
    I like either phosphoric acid or CLR. Use a soft bristled brush. After rinsing with fresh water, coat with Boeshield or similar product. Do not try to move or in anyway disturb the copper.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Vinegar cleans the copper and bronze like new.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Spray it with vinegar and walk away. Cleans it and leaves your boat smelling like a fresh salad.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'll try vinegar first and then some of Robert's Boeshield.

Websites I researched indicated that the green scale (oxidisation) had little impact on the integrity of the copper pipe beneath. Hatteras used copper saddles and I wonder if there may have been some issues underneath them.

I seem to remember that other forum members have had copper steering pipes fail on them. I don't like the look of mine at all in rear port corner.

Now off to the supermarket to buy vinegar. Will post before and after photos assuming I don't get stuck forever between the transom and bedhead wall.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 08-27-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    I'll try vinegar first and then some of Robert's Boeshield.

Websites I researched indicated that the green scale (oxidisation) had little impact on the integrity of the copper pipe beneath. Hatteras used copper saddles and I wonder if there may have been some issues underneath them.

I seem to remember that other forum members have had copper steering pipes fail on them. I don't like the look of mine at all in rear port corner.

Now off to the supermarket to buy vinegar. Will post before and after photos assuming I don't get stuck forever between the transom and bedhead wall.
    Bring your phone just in case you get stuck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If it's still pretty much solid, clean and reuse. My case no HW Heater, all sorts of patching and plugging. Full replumb in the works, weighing options.

8. Re: Green Copper Pipes

Be sure to use White Vinegar. It helps clean if you add a pinch of salt to the vinegar solution.

Kosher salt if possible.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Kosher salt if possible.
    Pink Himalayan salt because Pink and Green make brown.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI