Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Angry 1986 43'MY Bilge system

I'm a new member and new owner! One of my projects this past week was cleaning and painting the bilges. Too many years of neglect. In the aft cabin at the foot of the bed there's a sump 'box' but no access hatch or bilge pump from what I'm able to detect. This area/sump box is on the bedside of the wall which separates it from gray water bilge for the aft shower and washing machine. Need help in understanding where this 'water' is supposed to go. On another note, I just took out the gigantic Galley Maid windlass good for spare parts if someone is interested otherwise it becomes 'yard art'.

Re: 1986 43'MY Bilge system

I have a 1973 43DC and it sounds like your layout may be slightly different, but I have attached a photo that shows the shower sump in the lower right corner. This is accessed through a hatch in the center line hanging locker at the forward wall of the aft cabin and this is looking forward. This is a new shower sump. The old one had no top and was installed such that the gray water overflowed into the bilge. Nasty. There is a sump pump in the new sump that discharges overboard out of a through hull fitting.
    Purasan and Shower Sump.jpg

It is currently wired to be on when the light in the shower is turned on, but I am going to wire it on all the time and route AC condensate lines that are currently draining into the bilge in to the sump.
    Last edited by Jammin'; 08-26-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Yes configuration is different BUT you gave me a couple of ideas as where I can look. Thanks much I'll get back after I check things out today. I also plan to add shower sumps as well much cleaner. Thanks

Here's a recent discussion that may interest you
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...r-IC-installed

Are you sure the second drain into that sump is the washing machine? Hatteras offered an option to drain the washing machine to a thru-hull, and that’s the way mine is set up. The second drain in my sump is the aft deck sink, which is a much easier discharge to manage than the washing machine. I just installed a Whale Gulper IC in the forward bilge/sump (link posted above), and I’m very happy with it. I plan to follow up in the aft bilge/sump, but not sure that would work with the washing machine - don’t know if the Whale pumping rate is greater than the washing machine pump output. Look forward to hearing about your solution.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

You might be correct about the washer drier. I'll follow the hoses. It was a quick look guess. My issue remains .... aft of the gray water bilge and forward of the foot of the bed is another bilge compartment which isn't draining and doesn't appear to have an access hatch/panel. Today I plan to get to the bottom of the problem I'll squeeze a hand pump in and pump it dry may be limber holes which are plugged leading to the aft bilge area under the head of the bed??? Looked in the closets and under the dresser draws.... no access... may holesaw a 3" hole for the pump in the subfloor. I'll let folks know how it goes today.

I have the same small area that I can barely see into. Mine is partially filled with foam that looks like expansion overflow from around the bottom of the fuel tank. There are no limber holes, and it’s always been bone dry.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Yes!!! Exactly the same 'foam' and all... BUT mine was fully of dirty water.... yesterday I cutout a 12 x 12 hatch/opening.. pumped the 'void' out cleaned and painted it... I plan to leave the access hole if it should ever again get filled. My guess it will not. She was on the hard for a year with no power so that may have caused bilges to overflow and spill into this space.... problem solved and addressed Thanks all for your inputs !! Now to finish installing the new windless and new toilets the wife has a thing about that... whatever as long as she's