Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: One thing leads to another

Thread of the year!!! This cracked me up this am!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Brian, what brand of paint did you use?
    Thanks

I used the Interlux Bilgekote.

So my coaming pads are coming apart and I ordered new vinyl for them from Sailrite. While I was looking for the right vinyl the wife finds some fabric for the salon valences. Apparently she is not happy with the 1985 floral pattern which matched the stained ceilings perfectly. I took the valences down and stared at the stained ceilings from where the previous owner left the dock water on and the windshield washer line busted. I had previously planned to replace the vinyl at some point but with us staying on the boat temporarily I thought I would try painting it instead of a major project.

Bought the SEM marine vinyl prep and paint in Ranger Off White. It turned out to be a perfect match. 4 cans and paint high later we are very pleased with the results. The paint was still a little wet in the pics and looks even better now. Im amazed at how smooth the surface feels, just like vinyl. You can't tell the difference between the panels in the galley we didn't paint vs. the salon.

uj4A3a6tTs+tRytii4awTw.jpg

qH5JunGGSOaERmwK8UxTKg.jpg
    V0H2%DbuScaoa9vX0rORhQ.jpg

fWnwNokuR0m0B3l9muJ+0A.jpg

Lveb%oiaQdyQ%aCfmUd6bg.jpg

After pictures

I will post the valences installed once we get that done

SEM Makes a great vinyl product.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Very cool.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I took my valences down, someone had put awful leopard print fabric on them. I found just like new matching mahogany underneath. It was a nice surprise. I oiled the wood with teak oil and put it all back up. It might be worth looking behind the floral print material. That paint job is an amazing transformation.

Walt Hoover

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Walt thanks for the tip. I will let the wife decide but that sure would be easier. The paint blends almost to perfection now that it has dried overnight and the smell has gone.