Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: One thing leads to another

How many cans did you use? Two or three coats?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I used 3-1/2 cans. I put on 2 coats then took a light and went back over and hit the spots that showed in the light.

Walt I verified I do have stained wood behind my fabric also. It is not as shiny as the existing wood and would have to be varnished. The wife decided to go ahead an use the fabric but we will probably go with your idea in the staterooms. Thanks for the tip.

Just as Walt suspected the wood on the valences is stained teak. The wife over ruled me using it though as the rest of the teak has a shine from someone coating everything with varnish. The valence boards were not so shiny and would have needed varnishing. Since the fabric was already ordered we went ahead with that route. Walt has saved me another fabric shopping session though, for the state rooms, as we will go with the teak there. Here are some pictures of the finished product. I will continue this post with my coaming pad/ roll & roll paint project in a few days.

OInVQy8cT9eCSf7fVDAKig.jpg
    d3uUep8XRW676eIp7tDrDQ.jpg

Nice job with the color match of fabric and the finished teak.

Looks great!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

So in the midst of the headliner project my deteriorating coaming pads just literally came apart at the seams. I suppose the thread rotted. I bought vinyl from Sailrite and decided to try this myself. As one thing leads to another, after I removed the pads, I had to paint the gunwale behind them. In honor of Seņor Clarkson I used the roll and roll method and was pleased with the results. The original pads had sewn seams and end caps. This is where the failure occurred. Being I didn't own a sewing machine or know how to use one I used this failure as an excuse to go seamless. The end caps were folded and were not perfect but look presentable for a fishing boat. The inside corners on the original pads had a sewn in gusset. I elected to wrap it an make two pleats. Mine will at least be more water proof than the original. Total cost for the valences and coaming pads was $146 including the Monel staples at $30 a box.

ZNtJWOR8SS+Ui05hlBCJbQ.jpg

MKr4WnrmS0qpQgk0tDiA0g.jpg

LJJ9i41VQCWdfPDXy+icPw.jpg

Good solution and gracias.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I finally picked my poison. As long as I had the generator muffler out, it seemed the time to deal with the dead 8d that requires it be removed to get it out. As long as I need to replace the battery, I might as well deal with the lack of capacity in that bank and squeeze more in. And while it's all apart I might as well clean and paint that portion of the bilge before I put it back together. And so it goes.
    Attached Images
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I have been looking at the white version of those two cans for the last month, less the dent. I have been slowly painting my engine room after being shamed by Mr. Clarkson's photos. I think I am going with bilge kote for the bilges though and sticking to the enamel hardened stuff on the walls & non wet areas.I will post some pics when I am done or close

My thought process on the white is that it really needs to be perfect and in some ways, the more I do the worse it will look until it is all done. With the light gray, I'm hoping that everything I do will be an improvement until I am done. I think it's a bit like politics. Compromise actually works better.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA