Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Calling for help from all 1979 53’ers.

Came up this weekend to find that the refrigerator running at 60° . I turned it to the maximum cold and after three hours it’s down to 57°. I know it’s time to switch out but I’d like to talk to anybody who has my year and my model that has changed theirs out. What brand and size did you get that would fit down that skinny opening. Thanks in advance for your help.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Calling for help from all 1979 53’ers.

One of the things I did on my 1970 is open up the hole. Yes it takes a little carpentry surgery but it is well worth it. You can easily gain 6” horizontally and vertically. Especially with galley and dinette down it help dis isolating the cook from the folks outside.

How easy it is depends on what you have to the right of the steering wheel (mine had the defunct antique Vosper Minifins control and the equally antique and equally defunct Woodhole Fremantle not so auto pilot)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I wouldn't bother with that skinny opening. Take it down between the engine rooms and up through the salon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    One of the things I did on my 1970 is open up the hole. Yes it takes a little carpentry surgery but it is well worth it. You can easily gain 6” horizontally and vertically. Especially with galley and dinette down it help dis isolating the cook from the folks outside.

How easy it is depends on what you have to the right of the steering wheel (mine had the defunct antique Vosper Minifins control and the equally antique and equally defunct Woodhole Fremantle not so auto pilot)
    Thanks Pascal. I hope I don’t have to remodel but it might come to that. Thanks for your ideas.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Bring all your beer and wine. I will keep it nice and cold for you in my fridge. I mean what are friends for
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    Bring all your beer and wine. I will keep it nice and cold for you in my fridge. I mean what are friends for
    So true Ron.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

A counter depth fridge freezer with the doors remove needs 24 inches to go down the stairs
    I only had to remove one or two bits or trim
    Ian w 1981 53 classic

Sent you a text with the model in our galley. Samsung RSG257AARS. Apparently they took the doors off the fridge and removed all the trim around the stairs in order to do it. Search the forums. I think Mike P posted a description of how he did it a while back.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Rusty, my boat has the modification that Pascal was talking About we got a 3 door full size refer down there flat on its back with heavy moving pads over the wood, it was easy. Also with that opened up it makes the whole galley area fell bigger. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Hi Rusty,If the fridge is in otherwise good shape, does it make any sense to remove the compressor etc and have it reworked?
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az