Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Galley Maid toilet question

Does anyone know the best way to introduce cleaning vinegar to a GM toilet and pump? I have freshwater flush toilets with solenoid valves mounted on the pumps and would like to clean them along with the lines. No problems, I just haven’t treated them in over a year and feel it is probably due.

I am concerned that simply pouring the cleaning solution into the bowl and flushing will just dilute it. BTW, I am using 30% vinegar.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Another Galley Maid toilet question

Turn off the intake. Then fill the bowl to the top with vinegar. Flush till almost empty. Reopen intake valve and do not use toilet for 24 hours. Don’t forget to reopen the intake!
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Full strength on the vinegar.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Turning off the intake is what I was trying to figure out: can I just pinch the supply hose while flushing?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

No, Turn off the seacock.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

There is no seacock on the freshwater system. I was just wondering if pinching off the supply hose with a vise-grip would damage it. I am thinking not since I don’t have to shut it off completely, just really slow the flow to keep from diluting the cleaning solution too much.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Full strength on the vinegar.
    The vinegar is 30% acid as opposed to the 5% of regular vinegar and 10% of “cleaning vinegar”. I’m hoping it’s not too strong.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    The vinegar is 30% acid as opposed to the 5% of regular vinegar and 10% of “cleaning vinegar”. I’m hoping it’s not too strong.
    Regular old grocery store white vinegar is works well and is cheap and safe to leave indefinitely. So quit hoping and go with a known solution.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Sori thought you pulled from raw water. I’m in fresh water so I just shut off the seacock. Not sure if pinching will cut off the water but try and report back to us. I agree with Robert on cheap vinegar.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

10. Re: Another Galley Maid toilet question

So... all this talk of keeping the air vent clean on back of Galley Maid made me go and break a perfectly good head. I pulled off the hose and the barb on the elbow came with it. My question is Can I get a new elbow with the barb or do I have to drill out an elbow and tap for a new barb?