Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Any marine AC experts here??

Well I’m far from an HVAC expert. Even so, seems to me the pump should cycle as originally designed. There are humidity settings, for example, that call for intermittent operation while you would, typically, be away. Why would you want to continuously pump for that very limited operation? Related, a boat here had a hose failure on his AC pump while the owner was away for a week—what a mess. He’s glad it wasn’t continuously pumping. It’s pretty hot here. Still, the pump gets some rest during the day and more at night. Mine is also on its own breaker and is controlled by any of my four units as originally designed.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Mr. Clarkson is right. There is a good design and for a reason. If the systems are not working that way it's because something is wrong. A trigger is bad. A control board blown or another component not working right.

Dont try to out engineer the guys who design these things for a living. They usually have intimate knowledge of the products and far better resources.

I wont offer an opinion on what's wrong because I cant trouble shoot from here. But maybe you can find a competent ac guy who can.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 08-23-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Robert our boats are nearly the same. My a/c system is original and my pump runs when the breaker is on. To prevent the scenario you presented I always turn my pump and a/c off when not on the boat and use fans to circulate air. I have never had a mold issue in LA or FL doing this. I am curious as to the difference in controls on our boats. My pump only comes on when I turn the breaker on and runs continuous even when the unit breakers are all off. There is no control wiring or relays from the pump to the units. Best I can tell it was like this from the factory. If mine was modified they did a good job of hiding the modifications. I am still using the old Honeywell thermostats and rotary dial fan speed controls. If I get bored this weekend I may pull out the original blue prints on the Cruiseair units to see if there were modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Robert our boats are nearly the same. My a/c system is original and my pump runs when the breaker is on. To prevent the scenario you presented I always turn my pump and a/c off when not on the boat and use fans to circulate air. I have never had a mold issue in LA or FL doing this. I am curious as to the difference in controls on our boats. My pump only comes on when I turn the breaker on and runs continuous even when the unit breakers are all off. There is no control wiring or relays from the pump to the units. Best I can tell it was like this from the factory. If mine was modified they did a good job of hiding the modifications. I am still using the old Honeywell thermostats and rotary dial fan speed controls. If I get bored this weekend I may pull out the original blue prints on the Cruiseair units to see if there were modifications.
    Brian, Aslan has SMX II controls. The cycling of the pump is a system design function, not a function of a specific control option. If you think about it, why wouldn’t you have to flip breakers for the units as well? The breaker is to protect the pump and you and not a proper switch. You can still find manuals that describe the correct (design) system operation. But I admit it’s easier to make the pump run continuously and harder to find and return to normal between multiple units.

I generally set two units to a higher temp setting and select interment fan operation when I’m away for more than a day.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 08-24-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I would consider an upgrade to a new relay box if a reliable one exists. Tempted to build my own but would rather have proper marine components. For now I will use a switch because at the end of the day we need the AC to work. The only time the boat sits AC running with no one on it is behind our house in sight and I check it.

Any suggestions on a new relay box. We have 2 240V and 1 115V units. Pump is 115V.

As for running everything as engineered that is not always best. We see it all the time in controls world. I have a doozy of a story on some water source heat pumps that are back up cooling to some IDF (IT data) rooms that will never work as intended including the trigger that starts them.

Early Hatteras like mine didn’t have any relays for the pump. Yes having the pump shut down in case of a leak is a plus but if the leak happens downstream of the manifold, on a single hose to a condenser, the other ones are still going to keep the pump going.

Regular inspection, good hoses and clamps are a must.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Found a Marineair MRP8 that seems like it would work. Anyone have one of these? Can’t find an install manual on it but it says you can mix voltage inputs.

I replaced my relay board this year. Used MicroAir. Board was around $130 if I remember. Was a little PITA to install in original box, as had to drill box and install new stand offs for board. If I remember they had an option including box.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Brian, Aslan has SMX II controls. The cycling of the pump is a system design function, not a function of a specific control option. If you think about it, why wouldn’t you have to flip breakers for the units as well? The breaker is to protect the pump and you and not a proper switch. You can still find manuals that describe the correct (design) system operation. But I admit it’s easier to make the pump run continuously and harder to find and return to normal between multiple units.

I generally set two units to a higher temp setting and select interment fan operation when I’m away for more than a day.
    Robert the SMXII controls probably were not original. I have one on my salon system but it was replaced entirely in 2006. The other three have the old rectangular Honeywell thermostats with a single dial for fan speed. It all appears to be original to the boat. If the pump were tied to relays on the units originally they did a good job of re-wiring it. Down here in Florida and in LA there is always a compressor running. I plan to pull out the blueprints this weekend to see if anything was altered.

Did some research and the MicroAir is what I have that failed. Going to order the MarineAir MRP8. I am going to take pictures of before and after and post. May not go in right away as it is hot out and I am super busy at work. I am going to wire in a 3 way switch as a bypass just in case ever needed. Will have the pump on the line terminal, line on one traveler, and pump controller on the other traveler so I can isolate the pump with no backfeed into controller. This way I operate as designed and in case of failure force the pump on without touching any wiring.