Gents,

I'm in the unenviable position of needing a new genset. Situation is I have a Norpro 21kw which is dead....and I could get another engine setup for it to cobble onto the still good generator, but I'm going to be in the $8k range for that, which is of course less than a replacement FOR THAT SIZE of genset, BUT for the same money, I could drop down to something way smaller, and go new. I am not convinced that I would have to give up that much because I have a whole boat inverter (outback 3232).

So, looking at specs for like a 5.5kw Kubota Marine unit, it provides almost 42 running amps at 120V or half that, 21 amps at 240v. Maggie Mae has a LOAD of electrical stuff, but really, the only thing that I can't run off the inverter are the AC's, and that's with NO genset (main alternators charge inverter batteries underway)

I note in the marina that everything on the boat plus one AC running is in that range of amperage pull, so maybe I could even run one AC on this little genset, which would honestly work for me, but it could also charge the batteries on the inverter which, outside the AC's is all I actually need to have happen.

So, I don't want to trip over myself to save a couple of grand and have a way undersized genny which becomes a functional problem, but the idea of a small little 250 pound, easy to get in, quiet, fuel sipping kubota is awefully appealing.

So, how big of a genset do I REALLY need?