Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Glendinning Electronic Control- Backup

I have these controls on my 56SS. I had a failure of the controls. Very scary since the boat was in gear. I have mechanical backups in the cockpit but not on the bridge. Has anyone ever seen the need to install mechanical backups on the bridge, where most of the running and docking occurs? Also, the mechanic said the failure was due to a too stiff spring in the ball detention gear shift on the back of my ZF transmissions causing an overload on the electronic controls trying to move the tranny gear shift lever. Anyone ever dealt with or heard of this? Just trying to make sure this never happens again. Thanks.

Re: Glendinning Electronic Control- Backup

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I have these controls on my 56SS. I had a failure of the controls. Very scary since the boat was in gear. I have mechanical backups in the cockpit but not on the bridge. Has anyone ever seen the need to install mechanical backups on the bridge, where most of the running and docking occurs? Also, the mechanic said the failure was due to a too stiff spring in the ball detention gear shift on the back of my ZF transmissions causing an overload on the electronic controls trying to move the tranny gear shift lever. Anyone ever dealt with or heard of this? Just trying to make sure this never happens again. Thanks.
    Have you consulted Glendinning? It may be you can manually override your shifter; I can and have. Can't believe the diagnosis (I have ZF BW250's). I'm assuming the boat has worked fine until now. Springs don't generally get stiffer over time. Did the control lights flash? If so, what was the code?

I have seen failures because of a bind in a cable and low voltage. My standard before start check is to exercise the shifters in both warm and take modes--full ahead and full astern a couple of times. Have you tried this?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks. The code was too high amperage draw. I am having all the cables replaced to at least take care of a potential cable issue. Rick at a Glendinning was great. I do have mechanical backups through a Glendinning control head in the aft cockpit. But, had I been docking using the bridge controls, as I do all the time, I would not have time to have gotten down the ladder to the aft mechanical overrides before smashing into something. I just do not want to spend the next number of years hoping these controls don't fail every time I dock the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I just do not want to spend the next number of years hoping these controls don't fail every time I dock the boat.
    I am going to forget I even read this thread.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL