Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Is NORPRO out of business?

Gentlemen,

About 18 mos ago, based on a PO install problem with a vented loop below the water line, my NORPRO/Isuzu 4L diesel engine sucked water in and long story short its dead. Since I have a full boat inverter and haven't needed to take her on long overnight trips on the hook etc, I have been able to survive without a genset while I figure out my next step, because as we know, a genset is serious dollars.

I am ready to attack this issue, but have been trying to reach out to the manufacturer NORPRO up in CT (www.4norpro.com) seems to be....gone...phone numbers ring to disconnected lines...etc. Anyone know if they still exist in a different form, or if there is still a distributor servicing this rather rare brand?
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Re: Is NORPRO out of business?

Parts have been a problem for years. I was able to order part from them two years ago, it could a lot of efforts to get them to respond and ahip the parts. Haven’t had any needs since so no idea if they re still in business.

The electricals are from Mararathon Electrics so finding parts should be easy. The engine is an Isuzu industrial engine so looking in the industrial field would be a good bet.

It s shame as it was a real good unit.

Mine also ingested water because the PO didn’t install a loop (back in 2004) I was able to flush the engine right away and save it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

NORPRO IS out of business

I spoke with one of their (former) distributors today. He confirms Norpro closed doors with no notice and no further guidance.....so I'm off to Genset land to find another one.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

JR, most of that motor seemed good when we tried to spin it. If generator half was good, wouldn’t you look into a rebuild? I may know a local guy.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    JR, most of that motor seemed good when we tried to spin it. If generator half was good, wouldn’t you look into a rebuild? I may know a local guy.
    Correct Robert, we can use the Ginny which was unaffected, but General Diesel locally says that Isuzu Engine is beyond refurb and they have spec'ed out another at about $6k, which is way less than a new full genset OF ITS SIZE....I'll reach out to you directly shortly. Thanks for the note.