Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

detriot 671 tib not hitting no load rpm

Finally had my mechanic out on the boat yesterday, as
    I have been having an Issue where the boat will run great then appear to bog.

He discovered I am not hitting no load rpm on the starboard motor an have a lot o crank case blow by. he is going to take the boat Monday to start working on this, anyone have any thoughts as to hat can be causing this an fixes? from t I've read so far sounds like I could be talking a rebuild

Re: detriot 671 tib not hitting no load rpm

Lots of possibilities.... start with valve adjustment and check the rack and make sure all injectors are on the same page. Then look at compression issues..... cylinder walls/rings/valves.... Remember that individual jugs can be re-lined in situ, although if one is tired the other ones may not be far behind. And, the head can be pulled for a refurb.... No need to declare it deceased just yet.....

He will most likely do a compression check and take it from there.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Unless motor is really trashed or starved of fuel it should hit no load rpm. You would also expect noticeable misfiring. No load rpm being low is usually linkage not fully traveling, or governor adjustment.
    Now if you mean WOT under full load, then that is a different story
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

If you have signifcant blow by that means the rings need to be replaced on those cylinders. You could also try a top end tune up meaning injector height adjustment, governor adjustment, rack adjustment.

How bad is the blow by?? How many cylinders?
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Don’t have that info yet, hoping it as something like a governor or linkage adjustment and not bad rings. Engine took a hit two years ago sucking up exhaust from the port motor

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Engine took a hit two years ago sucking up exhaust from the port motor
    What happened here?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Marmon clamp broke on port motor and starboard infested a ton of exhaust gases, blower was carboned up etc and was replaced along with all the exhaust leaks sorted. Interesting I had the throttle cable on the starboard motor replaced a few seasons ago right before all this happened and it’s been a long road sorting through exhaust leaks and such so sort of hoping that it may be a linkage or governor adjustment.

I've seen worn out diesel and gas motors still able to hit high idle rpm. Now starting them was a different story. Check the easy stuff first.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Probably a silly question, but have you disconnected the throttle control cables and tried to move it to full throttle by hand?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Have not tried that yet. Going down to the boat this morning and will look at that