Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone used the Mabru AC units?

Thinking about replacing the 3 AC units in the cabins with all in ones. Have been watching the rebuild of the 53' Whiticar Sea Lion on FB, the boat from the TV show Walkers Cay Chronicles, and they're going with the Mabru all in ones. They have been only using the best materials and processes so it's got me thinking.

https://www.indianrivermag.com/artic...sealionII.html

https://www.mabrupowersystems.com/sc7cu.html
    Last edited by Cricket; 08-20-2019 at 05:07 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Re: Has anyone used the Mabru AC units?

I haven't used Marbru, but I have also been replacing my Cruisair splits with self contained. I've used Webasto and Marinaire. Opinions vary, but I've been very pleased with the swaps and the cost is about 1/3 The cost of simply replacing the Cruisair and updating with digital controls.

How is the noise comparison between the splits and the self contained? It's the compressor that makes most of the noise.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We already have the digital SMX2 controls. The units are getting old and also would like to switch over to 220v units from 110v to save some amps.
    The Cruisair Turbo all in ones are available to use the SMX controls so that's an advantage to go Cruisair. Just have been hearing a lot of bad reports on new boats with Cruisair equipment although most have them have been split systems or chillers. The Cruisair Turbo all in one we put in the salon 3 years ago has been really great so far, just thinking the current Cruisair product isn't nearly what it used to be.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I installed a 9000 btu marineaire in the Tiara this year. Replaced a Cruisaire. Self contained much quieter. It's the fan coming on and off that's the biggest irritant.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

we need to replace the evap unit of our dometic 7k split in the master stateroom. The evap unit is under the queen berth so we have been reluctant to go to a "all in one" unit due to the noise potential.

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    we need to replace the evap unit of our dometic 7k split in the master stateroom. The evap unit is under the queen berth so we have been reluctant to go to a "all in one" unit due to the noise potential.
    Ambien
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Ambien
    oh Lord, I've seen some patients have awful nightmares from Ambien but some sleep for days

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    oh Lord, I've seen some patients have awful nightmares from Ambien but some sleep for days
    All these boats are different, and on the 63, the ac blower is already below the bunk. The self contained unit is no louder than the blower unit that was already there.