Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chapmans Seamanship School in FL?

Yes, No, or alternative ways to learn?

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Chapmans Seamanship School in FL?

Great way to start. We have lots of expert folks on this forum. Perhaps some of them may want to
    give you some suggestions..

Walt

Friend of mine took a course at Chapmans in Stuart. He reported that the entire class was very upset with the instructor's lack of training skills. He said the money he expended was wasted. He suggested that some online providers were far more effective.

There is no substitute for seat time. Read the Chapman's Piloting book, and then I'll have you handling the boat like a pro by the time we get back to Nashville.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I can vouch for Randy. He delivered my boat from Stuart to Chattanooga with me on board to learn how to handle my first boat, a 56' MY. He was able to show an old dog how to handle such a large first boat.

Nothing like docking and locking to drill home what to do.

I have gotten so good, that only 15 of my dock mates rush to my slip to throw over fenders.

Seriously, He is very patient, articulate, and an effective teacher.

Just beware, he likes to eat out a lot. I mean a lot. No really, a lot.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    I can vouch for Randy. He delivered my boat from Stuart to Chattanooga with me on board to learn how to handle my first boat, a 56' MY. He was able to show an old dog how to handle such a large first boat.

Nothing like docking and locking to drill home what to do.

I have gotten so good, that only 15 of my dock mates rush to my slip to throw over fenders.

Seriously, He is very patient, articulate, and an effective teacher.

Just beware, he likes to eat out a lot. I mean a lot. No really, a lot.
    You ran off all but 15 of your dock mates?

Thanks for most of the kind words, but how does one, “eat out a lot”, on a boat trip?

I seem to recall a number of meals onboard, but maybe you’re talking about eating out on the back deck, or maybe that open air restaurant where I turned on the good ole boy and got us a slip where there wasn’t one. That also got you your first lesson in docking a 56’ boat on a 40’ dock. That really was a fun trip, even though you... that really was a fun trip. I can’t for the life of me figure out why I’m the only one who likes you.

Oh yeah, you might win free driving lessons in late October when the leaves change in, “The Gorge”. I’ll keep you posted.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I was also older when I bought my first boat and hired a licensed commercial fisherman to teach me. The way he taught me to dock and everything I've never had any problems, I'd recommend that way to anyone. Those people know how to dock a boat since they do it everyday in any kind of weather. He taught be the GPS, to read the map and navigate by sight (my preferred way), and all kinds of useful stuff about my boat. I've taken classes but there is nothing like having a qualified captain check you out and teach you on your own boat.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Excelent information. I was looking at the Chapman class also but was shying away from it for my wife. I'll definitely go the route of hiring a skilled Captin for the both of us when were ready.

While I love the Captain idea, I currently don't own a boat. The week long Chapmans Seamanship 1000 class has a lot of independent Google reviews that are current and very positive. Thanks for all the responses.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I'm used to no one liking me. Its very freeing not having to wonder about ones popularity. I'm all in on the fall color run. To repeat: Randy is very careful with boat, willing to jump in to fix the inevitable unexepected equipment failures, a patient teacher, and pretty entertaining to be around.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"