Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Is there a vast difference in the learning curve of operation of say a 45C vs a 52C.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Is there a vast difference in the learning curve of operation of say a 45C vs a 5

No. The bigger the boat the easier it is.

The 84 Lazzara i run is easier to single handle than my 53...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Is there a vast difference in the learning curve of operation of say a 45C vs a 5

Don't know that I would agree that bigger is easier as a blanket statement as a lot of variables come into play. As for a 45C vs 52C, I would say zero difference.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

As long as the layout is similar like either lower pilot house or Aft deck station, side decks etc. the bigger boat the more torque at the wheels... the heavier the less it will be affected by wind.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The 52 will move more with a quick in out of gear than the 45's do mostly because they are under powered. The 52 with the 8v92 has a noticeable movement when dropped in gear.

Also keep in mind the weight of the vessel when it gets blown around is a factor. It's harder to stop a heavier vessel. It's harder to turn a heavier vessel. I
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Idles at about 6 knots
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The engine room of a 52C should be alot easier to operate in than in a 45

I went from a 52' Chris Craft Connie to a 42' Commander. The Commander is a go-cart by comparison. F=ma

The old wisdom always applies, especially when approaching a fixed object, like a dock: don't go any faster than you can afford to fix. The flip side of that is if you doddle and go too slow, especially against wind and tide, Mother Nature will put you in a box.

Practice, practice, practice

Simple answer no, Very similar. One may look more intimidating but the docking aspect is the same. Once you understand how a boat reacts when you push the clutches in different directions it doesn't matter. Those two boats are nearly identical in design, one is just 7ft longer. Similar bottom, similar site lines, and similar handling.
    Tony