Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: AIS Receiver Versus AIS Transponder

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Look at this way, if many other captains and crews are basically only looking at their electronics and not looking out the window, you'd better get represented on their screen so they can see you. Common sense and basic navigation skills are getting less and less common everyday.
    The way I sees it is if’n they can’t see a four lane bridge represented on their screens, I’m gonna need a bigger boat
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have a transponder on mine. Comes in really handy when in heavy commercial traffic. Another neat feature of a transponder is there are some websites that will post your location on a map. You do have the option to install a switch to turn it in the receive only mode however this comes in handy for family at home that are worried about your location. I recently moved my boat across the gulf of Mexico and my mom was thrilled she could keep up with me. I am 53 years old but she still wanted to know where her son was at night!

All great info! Thx!

Kind of seals the deal for me. For the $300.00 difference between a receiver and transponder that's a small price to pay considering the potential safety benefit based on comments received. In really rough conditions it sounds like its at least as valuable as radar and maybe more so.

Plus my 87 year old mother would LOVE to track our progress via the internet if the AIS data is pushed out to the public somewhere online! Our family matriarch is the very definition of an "Armchair Captain"! Lol!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

It's not more valuable than a really good radar but I do think it's an important tool to help fill in the safety puzzle.
    Last year we replaced our Furuno 25kw radar attached to 2 x VX2 MFD's with a Simrad 25kw attached to Simrad 2 x EVO3 screens, I always thought the Furuno radar was the best thing ever until using the Simrad stuff, the digital processing does make a huge difference which I was skeptical of going in.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    It's not more valuable than a really good radar but I do think it's an important tool to help fill in the safety puzzle.
    Last year we replaced our Furuno 25kw radar attached to 2 x VX2 MFD's with a Simrad 25kw attached to Simrad 2 x EVO3 screens, I always thought the Furuno radar was the best thing ever until using the Simrad stuff, the digital processing does make a huge difference which I was skeptical of going in.
    How old was the Furuno? Current models have a lot to offer like clicking on a target to start tracking with speed, heading, CPA data as if it was an AIS signal. Very helpful in a situation with many targets converging
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The Furuno VX2 stuff was probably 10 years old when removed, my point was the the digital products are just light years ahead of the analog stuff. Will never complain about the quality of the Furuno products as we never had one item break.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E