Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: AIS Receiver Versus AIS Transponder

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I have a receiver, in the VHF radio, and I have it connected to my chart plotter (via NEMA 1893) and it does work well. However, almost no recreational craft have transponders. I know this because if they did they would show up on the screen. Just saying. It doesn't replace radar. It is useful around commercial ports, and as others have noted, on a river with a lot of commercial traffic. But I will be putting future $ towards radar before a transponder. The ICW doesn't have much commercial traffic, if any, anymore. It isn't like the inland rivers when we brought the boat down here. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a transponder. But I would only invest in one after radar.

Here is Marine Traffic shot.... lots of purple rec vessels, most at the dock being a week day and many more with their system shut down
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It may be different in Miami, a lot of large craft, but I bet that is less than 1/10th of the boats, maybe even 1/20th. I am going by seeing a boat on the water and not seeing it on my chart plotter. What would you say is the percentage of that? I reckon 90% of the boats you see on the water are invisible as far as AIS goes.

Edit: More than 90%. More like 98%.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

A few years really bad weather rolled in quickly on a fleet of maybe 50 boats fishing really tight in the Washington Canyon, couldn't
    see 100 feet in the heavy rain and even our Simrad 25KW the radar wasn't worth a crap, it was interesting to watch how many boats suddenly appeared on the screens when they turned on their AIS transponders.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Getting ready to replace my ancient Furuno radar with a new 1815, and will be integrating an FA-50 AIS transponder.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    It may be different in Miami, a lot of large craft, but I bet that is less than 1/10th of the boats, maybe even 1/20th. I am going by seeing a boat on the water and not seeing it on my chart plotter. What would you say is the percentage of that? I reckon 90% of the boats you see on the water are invisible as far as AIS goes.

Edit: More than 90%. More like 98%.
    You may be right about the percentage but AIS is growing even on smaller boats but the key is how the boats are used. People who just hang around locally rarely have AIS (I don’t, yet). We spend a lot of time in the Bahamas and it s getting close to 50% ratio, even amoung smaller sailboats
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    A few years really bad weather rolled in quickly on a fleet of maybe 50 boats fishing really tight in the Washington Canyon, couldn't
    see 100 feet in the heavy rain and even our Simrad 25KW the radar wasn't worth a crap, it was interesting to watch how many boats suddenly appeared on the screens when they turned on their AIS transponders.
    I don't doubt the AIS was really useful in your situation. My fear is that picture it painted may be as dangerous as it was helpful the next time. Until it's mandatory, AIS stands a chance of getting you into trouble--IMO. Then, the obvious problem becomes what size boats are required to have it. Even then, like running lights, you can become invisible when it suits you. I'll never forget nearly T-boning a darkened boat a few years back because he was drifting while knocking himself off a piece. Clearly, the caveat in every electronics manual about not depending on any single source is as true as ever. I don't have AIS. There is substantial ship, tow, oceangoing and inland cruise ship, tour and fishing traffic in and around Charleston and on the AICW. Everyone is very good about security calls. I've lost count of the small boats that pass astern of me at night, only visible after the fact.

Our biggest risk here are the coasties running around the harbor at flank speed hitting tour boats and bridges. That means I worry about spending too much time looking down and not up and out. The the CG boat that hit the well-lit bridge near me in '17 on a clear night wasn't lacking any of the latest electronic navigational aids. Even with two extra crew on watch, no one bothered looking out the window.

Regarding X-band radar and rain, I'll never never never ever forget heading out the ship channel at Charleston approaching a squall line. With nothing on the scope but rain, out pops a container ship on a reciprocal. Close enough for me change my.... uh...habits. Had AIS been invented then, it would have helped. Funny thing, the CG doesn't transmit AIS around here except on a hit or miss basis--and it still rains here.

So, I don't have any immediate plans to install AIS. Please do keep an eye out for me.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Building a system for a customer that needs to be able to turn AIS on and off easily.

I'm using a switch setup bbn to mute the transmission on a garmin system that's fully integrated into system. I like the vesperntoo but the support was less than stellar.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You may be right about the percentage but AIS is growing even on smaller boats but the key is how the boats are used. People who just hang around locally rarely have AIS (I don’t, yet). We spend a lot of time in the Bahamas and it s getting close to 50% ratio, even amoung smaller sailboats
    I could definitely see a sailboat adding it for trips to and from the islands. A transponder would offer some piece of mind sailing across at night and asleep. In that light, I guess I am in the camp that transponders probably offer more of a safety boost than receivers. At least they alert the big ships of your presence.

My take on it, after this discussion, is that IF you are buying AIS for added safety, which still mostly means around commercial traffic, then you should go all in and get the transponder as well. Like a couple others have said.

Btw, does anyone get any sleep on these overnight passages? I haven't been able to relinquish the responsibility yet to my "crew", and pretty much end up awake the whole trip. I originally thought it would be easy, 2 on 4 off or whatever. Ha.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

We rarely run more than 20 to 24 hours in one shot, only when heading to Gtown Exumas from Miami. I usually take a 3 or 4 hour nap on the pull out bed in the skylounge while Naomi my GF stands watch. She s got years on the water and is licensed.

Few boats run at night in the Bahamas so traffic is light
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Look at this way, if many other captains and crews are basically only looking at their electronics and not looking out the window, you'd better get represented on their screen so they can see you. Common sense and basic navigation skills are getting less and less common everyday.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI